1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

to move or not to move

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by estrella, Apr 1, 2013.

1. estrella

As a few of you may see from my previous appearances on this forum, I am internally conflicted, complicated, and confused. Such is life, eh? haha. I hope this post is going to be okay.

For some time now, I've been thinking about moving out. I'm 19, legally an adult, and feel like I need to start acting like it.

For months and months, I've been looking into colleges in Canada. The idea was that, seeing as we have little money, I wouldn't be dependant on my mom, but myself. I would be responsible for my well being and education. It'd be easier on my mom, as we do not have the money to buy a car and she is not liable to drive in her current condition. However, to get into Canada, I need a sponsor to prove I have the funds to support myself (housing, food, recreation, etc). Since we don't have that, I cannot go, even though the tuition would be covered.

Now, it may be an idea for me to get a job at a local store to save up. No one is hiring and places that are are too far to walk to. On top of that, I have to wait until my Survivor Benefit checks runs out in May to get a job, because if I did, my check would not come this month. (Luckily, May is less than a month away!)

More or less, college is a no go at the moment. But that doesn't stop me from getting a job somewhere else. I feel as if I'd be in a better position to help my family if I weren't here. I know some of the older folk will put my logic down--I'm a teenager anyway, right?

I also feel like I need to move on, for my benefit, too. I get that feeling sometimes; I just need to leave. Not because I'm in conflict with my mom or family or their is trouble after me. It's a gypsy kind of thing, I think.

But in May I could potentially get a job (given that the market IS actually hiring by that time) for awhile. I have no family to move in with, so that's a no go (unless my oma will let me move in with her for a bit?).

I know it's not impossible, but entirely improbable. I'm not sure what to make of this situation. I want to be in a position where I can actually help--not just sit back and do nothing except what the struggle. I know it wouldn't be easy for me, either. But like I said, it's improbable, and I do hope that no one calls me stupid or naive for thinking the way I do.

I need some advice. I don't even know where I'd move to. I'll answer any questions to the best of my ability should the need arise. Thank you.