1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tips On Looking Androgynous?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Ninnie, Apr 30, 2015.

1. Ninnie

Out Status:
    All but family
    Hello all! I am looking for some help looking more Androgynous. Also I'm going to say possible trigger warning because I will be talking about my female body.

I am DFAB and I look very feminine. If you went on appearance alone then you would definitely think I was a girl. I have size 38C breasts and 36 inch hips. As of now my hair is in an asymmetrical bob. Do any of you have tips on dressing more masculine or androgynous?

2. one2threesloth

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Make sure that you wear what makes you feel comfortable !

I personally wear skinny jeans and old baggy shirts so that hides my feminine body shape but don't get wrapped up in hiding your body! Wear more 'square' shaped tops if that makes sense because then your hips won't stand out as much.

Also make sure that you remember to love your self ad your body, you'll find something that works sooner or later.

Best of luck, my lovely!

3. penta

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    you can try to wear a bit more baggy clothes and not to much bright colors.
    You could try short hair maybe..
    If you want to get rid of the overly female figure you can start working out a bit.

4. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  5. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Hi Ninnie! :slight_smile: I'll try to be the yang to your yin here, non-binary androgynous DMAB.

Well, first thing I'm fairly new to cross-dressing, but I think I've made progress, I actually had a girl genuinely ask me 'Are you a boy or a girl?' the other day.
    I won't go so much into detail what I do, rather the opposite, I guess.

Some tips:
    -Baggy pants. Somewhat baggy pants won't follow your curves as much. You could also try boy shorts etc.
    -Same thing with shirts. Somewhat over-large men's t-shirts look often androgynous on biofemales
    -Vests or unbuttoned thin jackets can be good for steering attention away from your chest.
    -Have you thought of getting a binder?
    -There's a lot of things you can do with your hair. For example (I don't know how long your hair is but...) you could put your hair up to your upper head, maybe take some hair gel, and make a messy guy hair style when you're feeling guyey/don't wanna be mistaken for cis etc...
    -Avoid ruby lipstick etc., I guess (don't know if you maybe already do that), when you're feeling non-girl mode. In general less makeup than the average biofemale, I guess ^^

Have you ever thought of surgery or similar? There is always the possibility of breast reduction etc.
    Me, I'll be looking to, if possible, transition ~half-way into female if possible.

Hope that helps, feel free to ask more questions also <3

6. Ninnie

Out Status:
    All but family
    Hey all! I have heard that making your body less curvy and more rectangle-ish vis clothes can help.

I would looove to try binding but alas my credit card is on the fritz after being stolen AGAIN. I have it blocked so people cant use it but haven't had the chance to get a new card as of yet.

I have been [stealing] "borrowing" my brother's jeans since my mother isn't ever awake enough to realize what I wear on my way to school but his hips are a bit smaller then mine so they aren't that great.

I have cut my hair short into my asymmetrical bob. One side is at my jaw line the other just touches my shoulder. I am definitely thinking of getting the short side shaped into a pixie/guy cut and the other side cut to my jaw. I'm not sure about doing a pixie or guy's cut all the way around just yet because my face is long.

I haven't really considered surgery due to being comfortable in my body when I am female but maybe losing a cup size wouldn't be bad.

Thank you all for your ideas! Hugs!!

7. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'll show you some images for pixie cuts
    I currently have a pixie cut, but tend to style it more masculine.

boop 1
    my currently hair cut
    boop2

really when looking for outfits to hair cuts google can be your best friend.
    what my hair looks like when I grow it out

i hope some of this help and I'm not just annoying ya
    I know when it comes to androgynous outfits it is a good idea to mix women and men's clothing. so maybe boy jeans/cargo/shorts one day with a girl top, or girl jeans/cargo/shorts with a boy's top

8. Ninnie

Out Status:
    All but family
    I was really considering the first cut last time I had my hair cut but then I chickened out. My mom says she thinks i should have my hair cut again so I think I'll get it then. You are definitely not annoying me, not at all!

9. Foxfeather

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Shorter hair (bobs are more for women than men).
    Baggier clothes (except maybe skinny jeans are okay for both men and women).
    Go online and look up images of said figures and then use them as your models. That's how I did it.

---------- Post added 4th May 2015 at 11:56 PM ----------

But honeslty, internet and google are your best friend. Key search terms:

-lesbian
    -soft butch
    -androgyne
    -androgynous
    -gender neutral
    -pixie cut

10. Lawlett

Lawlett Guest

I've found that the haircut is a real player with the androgynous look. Depending on how neutral that "asymmetrical bob" is, it could make or break your look.

Good options for clothing:
    fitted or baggy trousers (depending on your tastes),
    button-down shirts that aren't particularly feminine,
    classy shoes like converse or oxfords,
    and maybe some accessories that apply to either gender such as a hat, scarf, watch, glasses, etc.

Any clothing that doesn't cling to your form like spandex is good, something loose and square-looking but not necessarily oversized. But I will still say that the haircut is key. If you got one which is typically masculine, it helps to balance out your overall vibe.

Here is one I'm quite fond of.