1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

*Tiny voice* Help...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Phoenix92, Apr 27, 2013.

1. Phoenix92

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Okay, I am confident in my sexuality, yet am terrified in how my parents would react. Is anyone else in the same boat?
    Mind you, I still live at home, and am unemployed, actually never been employed, and am worried that if I do come out, I may get kicked out of the house. My parents aren't super religious.

2. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

To be honest, if you're in a position where you fear either retaliation or being thrown out, then I'd suggest you wait on coming out. Come out to your friends, come out to supportive people, but hold off on your parents until you're at a point where you're not only financially independent but on your own. If they're willing to kick you out, then it's their fault, not yours. But play it safe and hang in there.

3. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I cannot necessarily give you advice, but I can say I'm in the same boat with my father.

Any way in which you can surmise their thoughts about the LGBT community? Or has it been a rather mute topic amongst them?

4. Phoenix92

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lovely, to answer one of your questions:
    My sister is lesbian, and they are perfectly fine with that, yet it doesn't get talked about...

5. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

If they're perfectly fine with her being lesbian, chances are they'll be fine with you. But again, be careful. I'd suggest not coming out yet but considering your sister seems to be fine, I'll rescind that. But otherwise, what are their general feelings concerning the LGBT community?

I think a good portion of us, at some point, do fear being kicked out and retaliation, simply because we hear all these horror stories, all the time, of people who've actually had this happen to them. I know I did, especially when I came out as a lesbian, and even though I know it probably won't happen, still do when it comes to being trans*. But times are changing and who knows? People surprise you, you just have to play it safe and give them the chance.

6. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wonder if talking to your sister about it might be a good idea? I'm assuming she went through something similar to what you are going through now?

7. Jordz

I'm practically in the same boat as you, my mum knows tho and she's fine with it but its my dad i'm not too sure about.

8. GayAndHappylol

Out Status:
    A few people
    To me,you should wait till youre indipendent.Or atleast choose who is more acceptable of the two,and tell them first.

9. Lewis

Definitely in the same boat. It's mainly the awkwardness I'm not looking forward to.

10. MrBrightside

Im in the same boat except im independent at university these days. I dont really worry about their reaction as much as them treating me differently and dancing arround the subject if i mention it.

If you're dependent i would keep it on the quiet. Come out to friends first for sure, and get a support base.

Remember the main thing is you in all of this. Yes you will gain alot by being open, but you have to be personally secure in your life, accommodation and support etc.

Good luck whatever you do :slight_smile:

11. Phoenix92

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you for all of the support.