1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

thread display mode

Discussion in 'Empty Closets Help and Feedback' started by joeyconnick, Apr 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just realised that vBulletin can display threads in threaded and hybrid mode yet those options don't seem to be available to me in my Options section of My Settings. Can those modes be enabled? I /hate/ flat discussion boards... it makes it really hard to follow who is saying what in response to what, unless people quote, which for some reason they don't.

2. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

For this to be useful it woud be require people to always reply to the specific post rather than using the reply button at the bottom of the page. It could get even more confusing if that mode is enabled and people don't reply that way.

So I don't think we will win either way. I think it would be best to encourage people to quote the post they are replying to if it isn't the last one.

I don't have problems following most of the threads here, anyway. Perhaps that's because I'm here two or three times a day.

3. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First off, it's a per-user setting, so enabling it is not going to confuse anyone who doesn't activate it for their account.

Secondly, I do always reply to the specific post I'm responding to.

I would really appreciate at least having the choice of using this mode to read the forum. There will always be people who don't reply properly--I don't think that fact, though, should prevent people who do from benefitting from a threaded point of view.

4. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Indeed, but it would need everyone to do so for it to work.

I know it can be set as off by default but user selectable, so if we do enable it that would be the way to set it. It's one of those global settings that I can't access though...... :bang: I'll ask Seth to have a look when he's here next.

Does anyone else have any thoughts on this?

5. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

That is now enabled but is off by default. People can turn it on individually in "My Settings" if they want it.

To make this work, to use the Quick Reply box below you now need to click on the Quick Reply button in the bottom right corner of the post you are replying to.

#5 Paul_UK, Apr 23, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2006
  6. Micah

I've noticed that I *have* to click on which thread I want to reply to now...

7. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Yes, otherwise threaded display mode would be a useless jumble.

I prefer it as it was previously. Let's see what others think over the next few days.

8. lost

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don't really mind, I've used it on other forums (I run / mod several) and it seems to work, but it really depends on how (and if) people use it.

9. Proud1p4

Proud1p4 Guest

Umm, why is it changed in the first place....i mean i dont wanna be all whiny, but i dont think many people have trouble following threads the way it was previously...i mean, who honestly had trouble following posts?!:confused:

10. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

It was changed because Joey requested it. I didn't realise until I did it that it would affect the way Quick Reply works. If I had realised I wouldn't have done it so quickly.

So it's a simple question, do you prefer it as it is now or as it was previously? I've started a new thread with a poll for that here http://emptyclosets.com/forum/showthread.php?t=496

I'll go with the majority view in a few days and decide whether to change it back or leave it as it is.

I'm closing this thread so we don't have two discussions about the same thing. This discussion can be continued in the new one.

#10 Paul_UK, Apr 24, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.