1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thoughts on posting this to facebook?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Steele, Jun 26, 2015.

1. Steele

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So, given SCOTUS' ruling today, I was considering posting this to facebook:

Something I want to say about the same-sex marriage ruling: yes, same-sex marriage is legal now, and that's awesome, the fact that it was ever an issue in the first place is completely ridiculous, but the fight for LGBT equality is not over yet, and it's not going to be over for a long time, unfortunately. Legalizing same-sex marriage is a huge step in the right direction, but it doesn't mean LGBT individuals will stop experiencing harassment or discrimination or that homophobia is no longer an issue. So while we should acknowledge the importance of today's ruling it's also important to remember that there's still work to be done.

Almost everyone on Facebook is rejoicing, so I'm not sure if this would be too much of a downer. Also, I'm not out to the vast majority of my Facebook friends, so part of me feels wrong posting this given that I'm not completely out.

What do you guys think?

2. blackhatguy

I think you make a really important point.

When Lincoln issued the emancipation proclamation, discrimination against Blacks was not over. Interracial marriage wasn't legal until '67, and even still racism is a serious problem in many parts of the country.

So I think you're right. It's an impressive mile marker, but not a destination.

3. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't see a problem with it. You start with a positive, but just remind people that it's 'work in progress'. I think it's a fair and balanced comment.

4. BlueLion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think it's absolutely right. A lot of work has been done, but we still have to keep on improving. It's a very good point. :thumbsup:

5. Jellal

Post it! You're not a downer, you're a realist who knows that this is a process where you can't give up even if you've passed an important milestone. You keep moving forwards. It's critical that people who aren't a part of the movement understand that it's called a "movement" because it keeps going.

6. Monraffe

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's fine, but give it a day or two before posting. It's a good idea to let people celebrate their victories before basically telling them to get back to work. :slight_smile:

7. Steele

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks guys, I did end up posting it, and so far the response has been positive.

Yeah, that would have been a good idea, but I didn't see your post until after the fact. But thanks for the advice regardless! :slight_smile: