1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thought I was bisexual, now I think I'm gay

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Lou86, Dec 14, 2018.

1. Lou86

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi all,

I'm a mid-30s woman and I've known I was attracted to girls since I was around 11. I was also attracted to boys, so I thought I was bisexual. I first came out to a friend as bi at age 18.

I've been married to a man for 10 years (together for 11). I love him a lot and we've always had a great friendship.

Well, around a year ago my therapist made me start questioning things I had buried and the floodgates unlocked. I think I am probably a lesbian.

I have nothing else to add, just that this entire situation is so stressful and I'm looking for some kind of support or for someone to understand. It's a very lonely thing, especially if (like us) you've moved around the world a lot and therefore don't have many friends outside the relationship.

Thanks!

2. johndeere3020

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Lou86, you are NOT the only one out there that is going through the same feelings at the moment. I never came out, have always just hid and am feeling like my soul in being pulled in two at the moment having been with my wife for 19 years. Kind of feel like I lied to myself all these years.

3. Lou86

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks John! Pulled in two is the exact sentiment. I wish I could split myself off into two parts, one to continue on with the man I love and give him the children he deserves, and the other to go off and pursue the life I want with a woman. I want to live those two lives in parallel, and I haven't figured out the solution.

4. L8bloomer

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I feel your pain! 43 year old woman, married to a great guy with 2 kids. Always considered myself bi but lately wondering if I’m gay. Attracted to men somewhat, but much more so to women, though that wasn’t always the case. I’m just more aware of it now. Still haven’t figured out what I’m going to do...

5. Mystic flower

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I understand what you are going through! 37, married 17 years with 4 children. I came out as bisexual 5 years ago, and like you, I always knew I liked girls at a young age. I am struggling with intimacy with my husband, and of course he doesn't know because I don't want to hurt him. I love him a lot, and just starting to trust him again. But a part of me aches to hold a woman, to feel safe. I have chosen to focus on my relationship with my husband. But I do wish I can have a relationship with another woman. I cut all communication with the first woman I have ever been intimate with for various reasons, her being toxic for my marriage is a big one. But I do miss her, I am missing her so bad.