1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking of Coming Out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by CosmicWolf, Sep 23, 2018.

1. CosmicWolf

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So last week I just randomly started thinking about coming out, and for the first time it didnt terrify me. I almost came out that night, but it didnt feel like the right time.

I thought about maybe coming out on National Coming Out Day, but that might be a bit cliche. Also my super religous grandparents will be visiting then, and I dont want them to know yet.

I am fairly certain my dad and my step mom will be supportive, i mean its kinda obvious that im bisexual so it shouldnt be a huge surprise to them.

Either way I want to give them time to process it, and maybe springing it on them right before my super religous anti-gay grandparents come over might not be a good idea. But at the same time I dont want to put it off too long and end up chickening out.

Love4Ever likes this.
  2. CosmicWolf

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Lol well update... those super religous grandparents decided to pop in today and stay till thanksgiving. Holding my tongue while they make homophobic comments is gonna be hard. Thankfully i have escaped the living room to do precal homework. And write this post.

Idk i still want to come out to my parents, not sure i can wait till mid October to tell them.

Love4Ever likes this.
  3. Jude B

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's a tough situation to be in. Sorry to hear your grandparents are homophobic. It's really hard to have relatives that are that way because (or at least in my case) you still love them, but this one tiny part of life is such a big part of their mentality.

4. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That's rough. :frowning2: I'm sorry. I came out to my mom a few weeks ago. She was confused but it went well. I'm not sure what the best course of action would be. It may be better to just wait till they leave unfortunately. I know waiting is terrible though. I waited a week to tell my mom and I almost didn't do it. It's possible your grandparents will come around if they know their grandchild is bi. You'd be surprised sometimes how people can be. My grandparents are republicans, vote conservative, all that jazz, and yet they have two gay children who they love to bits. I've never heard them say anything homophobic towards them, ever. Even my dad's side of the family who are all really religious, are supportive of gay people. They're all catholic liberals. So people can be very multidimensional and surprise us sometimes. My grandmother on my dad's side would be more upset if I said I was an atheist than that I was bisexual.

5. CosmicWolf

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah im probably just going to wait until my grandparents leave. Im fairly sure they wont change their minds just because they love me. They havent been a huge part of my life due to some family drama that led to them disowning my dad until he got divorced from my mom and explained what had happened.

Anyways all i do know about them and everyone else on my dad's side of the family is they are super religous, frown upon us for not going to church, and they think we are going to hell. So if i say I am bisexual they probably would judge my dad more, and tell me to go get help cuz im "confused". They are the type that would sooner send you to camp to be straightened out than accept you and change their behaviour.

So yeah ill either wait till they are gone, or tell my parents at night when my grandparents have left for their hotel. But that could make for an awkward week for my parents, having to sit there while my grandparents make homophobic comments and either stand up for me and be ridiculed or keep quite.

I know its hard for me not to tell them off, so putting that pressure on my parents while they are probably still gonna be processing my being bi probably isnt a good idea.

So it sucks, and it is going to be hard, but its probably best for me to wait.

Love4Ever likes this.
  6. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    In this situation I think I will have to concur. Waiting is probably best all around. I'm sorry, I'm sure this is not what you want to hear. :frowning2:

7. CosmicWolf

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, oh well. Atleast the thought of coming out doesnt terrify me anymore.

beenthrdonetht and Love4Ever like this.
  8. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That's true. Getting to that place is great. I knew when I didn't want to hide anymore. I have/had a huge crush on a woman and not being able to be open about how I felt about her was killing me.

#8 Love4Ever, Sep 24, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
    CosmicWolf likes this.
  9. CosmicWolf

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So update:
    I am now feeling terrified about coming out. After enduring a couple weeks of homophobic comments from the family I am now feeling really nervous about coming out. Also I just recently started dating a girl which I would probably have to spring on my parents at the same time as my coming out which makes it even harder. Should I just come out and not tell my parents about my date until later or should I just get it all out there all at once?

Love4Ever likes this.
  10. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I would start with coming out. And then tell them later about the girlfriend. Just so they can adjust a little bit.

11. CosmicWolf

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah I figured that out, talked to my girlfriend about it. Also, I have decided upon doing a letter instead. I tried to do it in person several times tonight but I just couldn't get the words out and was just nervously fidgeting. I'll attach what I have got so far, probably don't want to write too much more cuz i don't want to overwhelm them. Ill just leave it on the kitchen table before I leave for school, my step mom will probably find it first cuz my dad leaves for work before I even get up lol. But he will have time to read it before I get home from work, about two hours. And Well tomorrow is National Coming Out Day so it is the perfect time I guess.

Attached Files:

12. CosmicWolf

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If there is anything you guys think I should change or add please let me know. I mean past tonight (Oct. 10) it won't really matter, but if anyone sees this before tomorrow any and all suggestions are welcome.

Love4Ever likes this.
  13. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think it's great! Awesome job. Good luck tomorrow.

CosmicWolf likes this.
  14. CosmicWolf

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people

Love4Ever likes this.
  15. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hope everything went well today.

16. CosmicWolf

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well I get off work in 30 minutes. Then I'll see how the letter was recieved. I am so nervous right now, I'm like visibly shaking.

Love4Ever likes this.
  17. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    *Hugs.* It'll be okay. Please check in later if you can.

18. CosmicWolf

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So it turns out I had nothing to worry about. My dad and stepmom were 100% supportive. I also told them about my girlfriend and they were cool with that too. So overall a way better reaction than I expected. I still have to tell my brother but that will probably be over text cuz he is away at university.

Rade, SoulSearch and Love4Ever like this.
  19. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm so happy for you! So happy. Thank you for updating.

Rade and CosmicWolf like this.
  20. CosmicWolf

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So yesterday my brother came down to visit from University. I ended up telling him I was bisexual and that I have a girlfriend. He was cool with it and said "You're my lil sis. I wouldn't change you for the world!"
    It was really nice to see him again, and I am glad that he didn't make a huge deal about me being bi. Like when I told my parents they were ok with it but it felt like we were walking on eggshells for like a week, like they didn't really trust me anymore or they didnt know how to respond. But there wasnt any of that with my brother, he just acted the same which is what I had been hoping for.

Rade and Love4Ever like this.