1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking of coming out on bisexual visibility day...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by UsagiChan, Sep 19, 2014.

1. UsagiChan

... but only because I need a good conversation starter. I'm the kind of person who needs a solid excuse/reason for starting a conversation, even if it's just a normal chat. When I first heard about bi visibility day (which is on September 23rd), I was jumping for joy. (!) I've been struggling with how to come out for months, and this just might be the perfect opportunity.

I've already come out as bi to my friends. I came out to some 2 years ago, and to all of them in June this year. It's my family and Facebook friends who still have no idea. I have no problem with posting a little bisexual flag on Facebook and saying 'Hey, I'm bi!' (or words to that effect). Although I do worry that I'll come across as pretentious or 'throwing it in peoples' faces'. It's just something I want to let people know about.

As for my family...

Well, I have most of them on Facebook, so they'll see the post and be like 'Oh, okay'. But I am moving to university on Sunday, so I will have to let my mother know by text because she isn't on any social networks. (I bloody hate phonecalls.)

Is it cowardly or inappropriate to come out by text? How do I word it? I know she doesn't have any negative thoughts towards LGBTQ+ people, so really my worries are just about being believed and accepted.

I know it's the day I want to come out. It's been a long time coming and I'm ready. I just don't want my mother to find out via someone else, so I need to tell her, and the only way I can do that is by texting. Looking for reassurances really. :help:

Sorry if this post came across as a bit rambly! Haha.

2. Rainbows~Exist

You seem ready and I say go for it! Don't worry about coming out via text or Facebook, I did the exact same thing and trust me it couldn't have gone any better.

(I hate phone calls too btw)

(I also need to start any conversation the same way as you do too! :lol: )