1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Therapy and depression

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by North, Jun 6, 2014.

1. North

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Sooo I'm gonna try to get two birds with one stone here.

As some of you may or may not have noticed, I sort of dropped off the site for a while recently. That was mostly because I had a lingering doubt and decided that I was a girl. :dry: That didn't last long. The first day I was really happy about it, the next couple days I was comfortable with it, then I started to have to remind myself about my decision, and then it felt like I just sort of dropped off this cliff into this serious depression about it. I finally decided I would do some more research about it, and I finally had that moment when it all just clicks, and I was crying for the rest of the evening. For the next few days, I was just in the depths of despair, it was the first time I legitimately felt trapped in my body, or that God or whomever you believe controls these things had made a mistake. At this point, I was super depressed but I couldn't cry. Like I wanted to, but I couldn't. Now, I get confused whenever I'm happy because I'm still able to be happy living as a woman. And I get these moments where I'm just so miserable and all I think about is how much I wish I'd just been born physically male...

I also have a completely unrelated (or somewhat unrelated) question. I've been looking for gender therapists in the Anchorage, AK area, but I haven't been able to find any. Does anyone know any?

2. Quandary

Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't know of any therapists in the area, but I've sometimes just wanted to "go back". To not have to face everything that's ahead of me.

3. Nick07

I believe it's dangerous to expect that you can't and won't be happy unless/until you transition. This thinking will further influence your mood (for worse) and it reminds a bit of "martyr's thinking".
    Of course you can be happy as a girl. Maybe/probably not constantly, but honestly who is constantly happy? That's doesn't mean that you can't experience a very happy days.
    Please don't feel guilty about being happy (*hug*)