1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Therapist advice

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Surutcra, Sep 7, 2016.

1. Surutcra

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    For those that made use of therapy to help figure things out around their sexuality, was there a type of therapy or therapist that you found particularly helpful?

I have a current therapist who does help but there are some things about being male I think she probably can't relate to as well as someone who is. I feel like my situation is...kind of weird in some ways, the stark contrast between different thoughts and feelings. There are sometimes things I read on here in people's posts that I feel I identify with but then there's a lot that I don't really connect with, at least right now. Maybe it's all part of it. Anyway, my next thought was to see a gay male therapist for a couple of sessions and see how that goes. Anyone have tips or words of wisdom of what's worked for them?

2. CameOutSwinging

I'd suggest looking to see if you can find a center or organization in your area that is geared specifically towards LGBTQ therapy. I am seeing a therapist at this type of place and it honestly is wonderful. It feels like a level of understanding that I wouldn't get from someplace else. I'm not even sure if my therapist is gay (it seems too assuming to say that he is just because he works at this place) but he's extremely understanding of everything I'm going through.

3. smurf

^ That. If you cannot find a gay male for a therapist, try lgbt spaces with therapist that deal with this kind of thing every day.

Also feel free to try therapists out until you find the person who you think you can connect with. Don't settle!

And you can also talk to your current therapist about this. If she is a professional, she might even help you find the right therapist for you.

#3 smurf, Sep 7, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
  4. I'm gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was able to find a gay male therapist. Unfortunately, by the time I sought out therapy I had done all the hard work and had already accepted myself as gay by then. I used therapy to help me come out, though.