1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The word "husband"

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Ben James, Jun 6, 2007.

1. LowestVocal017

Paul, I actually never thought about it like that! I am familiar with the idea that some gay guys dislike the use of the term, "husband," to discribe their "life-partner" because "it's heterosexist", but it never occurred to me that this is what they might mean when they say it.

For me, "boyfriend" does not do. It reminds me of the perception that gay people are constant partiers and won't ever mature to adulthood (where I feel the term "husband" comes to play). Furthermore, it reminds me of our second-class status, because in this country, I'm currently not legally allowed to call a same-sex spouse my "husband".

"Life-time partner" does exactly the same thing, which is why I, on the contrary, deslike and even despise that term.

Besides from the funny and/or flattering nicknames he and I might call each other (hon, honey-buns, wonky, bunny, babe, sweetie, etc.), "husband" is the only thing my married spouse would be called. I can't even imagine what else I can call him!

To me, "husband" is NOTHING heterosexist. It just means that he and I are committed for lifetime. No! Not only so, he and I are maturely and promisingly committed to a level beyond boyfriend and "life-partner" (for heaven sakes!!). He is my husband. :slight_smile:

#21 LowestVocal017, Jun 10, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2007
  2. LowestVocal017

***Applauds*** :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
    :thumbsup:

3. thommthomm

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I too have a problem with the word husband...I think Partner fits for me. I think, because it is a heterosexual term it turns alot of gay people off. It has a negative feel to it, because that would mean one would be the "wife" and no one wants that...just my opinion!

4. ohioboy

I would like to be a husband and to have a husband because if i choose to spend the rest of my life with someone i love i think they deserve the title of being my husband and the same for them people who think theres one wife and husband in a marrige just needs to be reinformed

5. Brandon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I usually use the words boyfriend, partner, and husband. When me and my boyfriend discuss about our relationship he uses all three words, I'm not bothered to use all three words. But husband is something I rarely use.

6. 24601

I think the word husband sounds stupid no matter who uses it :lol:. But, anyway, I like the terms boyfriend and partner more than husband, but would probably say husband too.

7. Kimi

How about "Butt buddy"??

LOL, Sorry it was hard to not to say this:grin: :eusa_doh:

8. Ahahaha that was funny.

Personally I don't like using husband. I don't like partner either because it makes me think we're working together on some little school project. I would just use boyfriend probably

9. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't like the word "husband" - it would make me feel old. I definitely prefer "boyfriend"

10. Husband makes me think you're stuck with that one person forever. Eeeeeekk

11. wtinal

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Wouldn't that be the idea of being married - ie having a husband(wife - for us ladies)?

12. Yes which I have a strong aversion to

13. blake21

i don't the word husband i don't think i would ever use it
    i use bf or partner

14. wtinal

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was somewhere the other day and a lady (lesbian) used the word "wife" to define her significant other. Although I think it is just kind of wierd for wife and wife, I was amazed at how clear it just made the conversation. It was still kind of wierd though. I still am leaning toward spouse.

15. Yea spouse isnt bad

16. SpikySpice

No husband for SpikySpice, definitely:dry:

If I marry, I'll be broke:lol:

17. Cloud Nine 5

I hate "partner". Sounds cold and so different. We shouldn't have to use different terms because we're gay. I just hope I'll be close enough to someone to want to call him husband. That kind of contradicts my theory that I won't be with someone when I'm older(because I'll want kids and I'd never raise them with a man or probably even a woman) but WHO KNOWS really.

18. Proud1p4

Proud1p4 Guest

I think husband is the proper word. "Partner" is a revolting word to me. I am not opening a bank with this person, he is my husband. I felt the same way you did just a year ago, but since then, i find it very very annoying to hear someone introduce their "partner".

As Melissa Etheridge did at the Academy Awards, she thanked her wife, as she should.

19. LowestVocal017

I fogot to say this in my original post in this thread-

I would also LOVE a change in my last name to whatever my husband's is. To me, it makes the deep committment much deeper! :slight_smile:

20. crimsonarcher