1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The word "gay"

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by frizie, Sep 15, 2007.

1. Kat22

It was common to hear someone say something was "gay" if they were referring to something stupid when I was younger (pre-teen to early teen) age, but as I got older and into high school, it was used less frequently and those who did say it were the ones who sounded stupid. Now that I am in college, no one says it. I think it is an age thing that, if you just give it time, people will get over.

2. surfrboykai

you raise a most excellent point there, as i've done that quite a few times. like this one time when me and my friend amanda were joking around, and we saw something that said "thick and kinky" and i said "kinda like you" with an innocent giggle. she got mad thinkin i called her fat. she has a slight weight issue, but i didn't intend to call her fat

3. LorenzG1950

I don't think people are too sensitive. Regardless of what people intend, the phrase is tossed out there for others to hear and emulate. That gives the wrong impression that it's ok to use gay as a negative in casual or any other conversation.

Why not find some other expression like "That is so Bush" :lol:

4. Bromptonrocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Interesting thread!!

Over here in the UK, the word gay is used to describe anything that "sucks" (no pun intended). I don't think much thought is given by the user as to what they're actually saying. It could have been any other word but it just happens to be "gay".

I can understand why we sometimes get upset or touchy but in all honesty all the people that I know that use the word gay to slag something off aren't using it to get to us. My nephew knows I'm gay/bi and he uses the word a lot. Not once have I ever thought that he was trying to offend me by using the word. Nor any other person that uses it. And, I'm usually the very sensitive type!!

If you do get upset by its use and you're close (friendly) to those that continue to use the word, tell them. If they're really your mates, they'll stop using it. They may not know how you feel unless you tell them.

Hope this helps. :thumbsup: