The Pledge of Allegiance

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by worriedWardrobe, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Capichino

I don't like saying it realy not becuz of that becuz it says "one nation under god" first I'm perty shure the uk is more religious than the USA and I don't believe in that so ya

But also I am proud to be a amercian so I say it y not it is just to celebrate our own countri " i pleage a legance to one nation under god individual with liberty and justice for all" well then how come lgbt can't Mary that is what I don't get

But I think we should do the 4-H one it is better and less ...

#21 Capichino, Mar 20, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  2. photoguy93

I want people to do it because they want to! That's what it should be about. Our country has such a big issue with that kind of thing. My best friends brother is as liberal as you can be (stereotypically, we liberals don't follow the textbook definition of patriotism), but he's as "American" as you can be, too. He loves America - he loves history and he knows about everything you will want to know about our Military and especially the police force in his city. It's so refreshing! I'd love to be at a point where I'm quite proud to be an American - but it's sooo hard!

3. Mogget

I oppose the Pledge on principle: regular public loyalty oaths are not a characteristic of a democratic country. The "under God" part is problematic, too, but it pales to insignificance against the issue of the Pledge's un-democratic nature.

The fact that people aren't supposed to be forced to say is not, to me, relevant. a) People often are forced to say it even after the Supreme Court ruled they couldn't be b) reciting the Pledge begins at an age where you're too young to understand it. It's purpose is indoctrination as much as anything. c) the Pledge is nationalistic, and nationalism is something I firmly oppose.

4. worriedWardrobe

Nope. I have my respects for those who died for this country, but I will not pledge myself to blindly support any nation. Especially when the method of pledging is, essentially, brainwash. Not to mention the fact that the pledge itself violates several of the moral standpoints of this country's founding

5. Oddish

Oddish Guest

In Australia, we had to sing the national anthem every day when I was in primary school, but that stopped around '06/'07 when I was in year 5 or 6. I hardly ever hear it... yet alone know all of the lyrics.

Our Nationality isn't shoved in our faces like it is over in America.

6. prism

I went to three different elementary schools, and we only had class time set aside to say it from 1st grade to 5th grade. I don't think anyone cared enough to not pledge.

I understand not wanting to say the Pledge of Allegiance if you're not from the U.S.
    There will always be things about this country and our government that I disagree with, but I will stand up and put my hand over my heart for the thousands of men and women that fought to defend our country. It's that simple.

7. aeva

It's tough to remember, but I believe we did as many other posters seem to have done. We were required to stand, but not forced to say it. However, as Chip mentioned, you were definitely seen as a 'weirdo' if you didn't, and may be called out on it by other students.

When I first moved to the US (from England, in 2nd grade), it definitely shocked me. At first I would recite it but leave out the phrase "under god", but as I got older I stopped reciting it all together. As far as I can remember, I've always had an issue with it. Just because I am a citizen (I have dual citizenship), that doesn't mean that I automatically support the decisions the leaders of my country makes. In fact, the overwhelming majority of the time, I am disappointed or even disgusted by the decisions made. I don't believe in a god, I think that god has absolutely no place in public schools, and I also think that the bit about the US standing for "liberty and justice for all" is utter BS. So no, I don't feel the need to pledge allegiance.

According to the Wiki page, there are only 5 states that do not require the pledge to be recited during the school day.

8. redstormrising

I can't remember if we still recited it in high school, but we did in elementary school and possibly middle school. I think you were just required to stand up but you didn't have to recite it if you didn't want to.

9. Devious Kitty

You said it better than I would have. We should not be required to say or even stand to any pledge of allegiance. People may not see it as a big deal because its perceived as "normal" here, however "normal" is subjective and normalcy isn't an excuse for indoctrination.

10. Punk Cowgirl

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    We had to do it through 4th grade (but I was homeschooled after that so I don't really know if they continued doing it through middle and high school). A couple times in third and fourth grade I refused to say it, and I got in trouble. Eventually I just started saying "under the sun", instead of "under God". I got pulled aside a couple times by teachers when I did it, but I just explained I was an atheist and they were fine with it. In fact I think the principal told me she also said "under the sun"....

I always had to do it when I was in 4-H too. I still just said "under the sun", and besides a couple stink eyes and puzzled looks, no one really cared.

You really shouldn't be forced to say it though, especially kids in elementary school who don't know any better.......

ETA: Saying "under the sun" doesn't really change the fact that I was being forced to say something, but back then I "under God" was the thing that bothered me the most. And I figured it was better than nothing........

#30 Punk Cowgirl, Mar 20, 2013
  11. Gallatin

I know it was always recited in every grade I was in. In high school (I can't remember before then), you were not required to say the pledge, but you were required to stand during the recitation out of respect.

This sums up my thoughts pretty well:
    Also, I used to say the whole thing, but somewhere along the line I started skipping the "under God" part.

12. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I hate the pledge of allegiance, because even without the words "liberty and justice for all" being largely a lie, it's still an oath asking me to identify my "community" with the "nation." Nationalism is bad. Sorry folks, try again.

13. sguyc

Whats the problem exactly? You are not forced to say it. You can sit there quietly in your desk if that is your wish. If you don't like the God part, just don't say it. It was only added in the 50s anyway. And jeez people, the liberty and justice for all is an IDEAL to strive for. Thats why its in there. We want this country to stand for liberty and justice for all. Obviously no country is perfect...

They should remove the under God part though, imo.

#33 sguyc, Mar 20, 2013
  14. Aubu

Out Status:
    A few people
    I had a teacher that got an attitude, snapped and force other students to stand up because her son served in the military. Whatever you believe..forget it, stand up or I'm going to chew you out because my son fought for your freedoms screw what you believe, show respect to the soldiers. That was her whole attitude.

I've always stood up, but her attitude mad me want to sit down. I wish I would have thought of this to say at the moment even though I don't agree with it.

I should have said " Your son is fighting, so that individuals will have the freedoms to choose and not to choose, and so that people like you can't dictate the freedoms that we do have" Of course that would have came along with her screaming out of control, because how dare you not respect this woman's son.

Shake my head. She only did it once.

15. prism

Under God, under Allah, under Buddah, under nothing, I don't really care. This country was built on the idea that you can practice whatever religion you want. The phrase is not a religious statement, it is a reflection of the contemporary civic culture.

16. Harve

"Patriotism is your conviction that your country is superior because you were born in it"

17. newdown

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I never said it. Loyalty oaths are creepy.

18. What kinda gets me is the "under god" part. I find that unnecessary since not everybody practices Christianity, plus America is diverse in culture.
    My school doesn't force the pledge on us unless it's a school-wide assembly or a pep rally.

19. Stripe101

The one nation under god thing bothered me. The country isn't supposed to have a god. Just like when the president swears on the bible. Or anyone in court. Why are we swearing to a god many people don't believe in? Whatever happened to separation of church and state?

20. PurpleRain

Skyrim... I have no life, and enjoy it. :D
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Man... even my redneck, conservative, backwoods school doesn't FORCE us to say the pledge... I say it out of patriotism, but I can understand why some people wouldn't want to... :confused: