1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Pink Dress

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by shorty, Nov 6, 2009.

1. shorty

2. Aw :3

(That's pretty much all I have to say.)

3. GhostDog

Awwww!

What awesomely supportive parents. I really liked the bit about them being asked if they wanted to order a shirt or a dress for wee Sam, as well. <3

That's so amazing. One lucky little boy, methinks. =D

4. Halo

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    wow, this article put me in tears...it's very touching and Sam has supportive family that is the most important thing and that others accepted him in a way too...although I think it would be harder if he was in higher grades.

This article is so inspiring :grin:

5. punkrocker99

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    That's great! I'm so happy that he has such unconditional support from such a young age. :slight_smile:

6. starfish

This really interesting if you think about it.

Blue and pants for boys and pink and dresses for girls. Is just an arbitrary social construct.

It doesn't really mean anything.

It is a shame though that he will catch hell for it.

7. Gaetan

That was an amazing article. That boy has a long, hard road ahead of him...but something tells me he'll do just fine.

8. Greggers

Ok, well im sobbing at this point and the screen is blurry from tears so dont mind any typos...

It makes me so so SO sad at the same time it makes me so so SO happy. I was that boy. I was exactly that boy.

When i was three i remember picking out a blue and pink my little pony from a box at church full of tonka trucks and army men. I was not allowed to play with it however and has to hastly put it back. When i was five i remember going over to my best friend in kindergarten house every week to play Polly Pocket, but i was never allowed to get one myself. When i was six i remember getting a ken doll for my birthday from a friend of mine who was a girl, but the doll mysteriously disappeared the same day. Thats just a small list. Even little things, like always wanting the "girls" toy from McDonalds when they would carry a different toy for each gender. Ive always been on the girly side, quite obviously, but my parents did EVERYTHING to crush that part of me. I went to multiple sports camps every year, crying each day my parents would strap me into the car to take me. I had to be bribed with toys to make me join the school volleyball team when i was ten. Its always been this way. Hell, i used to take my hot wheels and turn them vertically and pretend they were princesses!

I feel so much for this boy, because i am him. One difference though: His parents are not trying to crush this side of him. Thats why im happy. Im so glad that parents, at least these ones, are starting to see the light. Im be glad when the day comes that boys can wear dresses to school and its a social norm. I know that day is far off, but i guarantee if it were to come now alot more boys would wear dresses to school than anyone would have thought. Society can cripple people like that.

*sigh* I really want that hot pink magical swan toy from McDonald's right now...

9. shorty

Aww Geggers, your story made me as teary as the original. (*hug*) Isn't it terrible how societies so called norms crushes and forces them to hide who some people really are. Like you say though, one day hopefully we'll get there.

10. Halo

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual

your story brings tears to my eyes too...if I had the toy I would have send it to you...as a girl I didn't get to play with lots of dolls either, we just couldn't afford too many so I used to pretend my dolls too...there was this one doll we had that was so precious for me but I was only allowed to play so little with it and when we were moving away as refugees, my family gave the doll to the neighbour's daughter and I didn't have anything to play with for over a year till my mom got me a doll after I asked for one (I had never asked because I knew they didn't have the money for it)...just letting you know that I share similar loss but in a different way...

11. Just Adam

aww this is all so sad and yet light hearted for both sam and greg ...lifes hard and it will allways be but good peopel find a way and it kinda makes me happy its an odd feeling lol..

i hope this boy gets all teh support he needs... it seems teh friends in his class accept him and as they grow it will jsut becomea norm to them and he will still be accepted. thats nice... i wouldent be as brave as him.