1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The issue of labels.

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by someguy82, Oct 9, 2013.

1. someguy82

So I've been out of the closet for quite and while, and I've become very comfortable with my mostly being attracted to guys, but lately I don't like the label gay very much. I feel like it limits me, or predefines me to people. I'll hold a guy's hand or kiss him in public without so much as a thought, but it kind of irks me to be thought of as only a gay dude. Maybe it's because even though I'm mostly attracted to men, I find myself attracted to the odd girl now and then, and could even see myself dating a girl in the right circumstances. That said, I don't like the label bisexual because it doesn't really feel very accurate when it's like a 95% attraction to guys 5% attraction to girls split.

Maybe lately I'm just not very comfortable with being labelled one way and being only thought of that way. Does anyone else who is out have this issue? I don't care if people know I love men in the way that most guys love girls, but I don't really want them defining who I am with one simple label.

2. Dragonbait

Dragonbait Guest

How about queer? That kind of encapsulates all of sexuality spectrum, as far as I'm concerned.

But I've got another question - I'm dying to know! Why do you only like odd girls? :rolleyes:

3. someguy82

I like tomboys and nerdy girls. A girl in a baseball cap with glasses who can go toe to toe with me on movies, tv and video games is a girl I would date in a heartbeat. I'm not sure if I would jump into bed with them right away, but I'm sure I could work that out. Heterosexual intercourse doesn't disgust me, hell some of it is very sexy, but I have a really hard time envisioning myself engaged in the activity.

And hey, I'm attracted to odd guys too.

As for queer, I've thought about that and I've thought about pansexual as well. They just don't feel right to me. The main reason I stick with gay is that even though I don't feel it fits, it's the closest approximation. I guess maybe I'm just tired of there even needing to be a label for sexual identity, but I guess it makes it easier for people.

4. Lovetoski

Lovetoski Guest

Why don't you just stick with Pete... Or whatever your name is. Does there have to be a label at all? If you aren't comfortable with one than don't use it. My experience is that less people care than you think-- especially if there's chemistry.

5. someguy82

I think answering Derek to the question of my sexuality might imply a lot more narcissism than I'm comfortable with. That said, I'm totally Dereksexual.

But you're right. Chemistry trumps labels any day of the week.

6. Lovetoski

Lovetoski Guest

Some guy 82.... Bit of a smartass, huh? Love it.

7. ClosetedFather

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Since I am not out to many the question of my sexuality doesn't come up often. I have been liking the word queer and considering using it when I do come out. Its kinda militant too, rebellious towards the establishment if you will. I like taking the word back. Anyway the question of my sexuality has only come up when I visited gay bars. I suppose the closeted boy inside me came out good and strong. So I am often asked if I am Gay. And my answer is usually like "yeah, pretty much". So you like men??? "OOOHHHH, YES". I hate calling myself bisexual in a gay bar. I just get a bunch a guys telling me I am gay and just don't know it yet. I have also thought about "gay lite" but I think that could be taken wrong.

8. bassmaster

I'm with you.... Not big on labels. I like the "dereksexual" tho. Lol! I am not fully out but when I hear people talk about others or if somebody in the past has asked me I simply throw it back in their court by saying "does it matter?"

9. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I do feel like labels pretty much suck, and I avoid using them if I can. I still cringe just the tiniest bit using the word "gay" because of the stereotypes and connotations that I perceived with the word 30-35 years ago, which were largely inaccurate even then, and were based almost entirely on one or two isolated experiences AND the stereotypes and connotations that OTHER people fed me. It's ridiculous and it annoys the hell out of me, but those gut reactions are hard to bleach out of the brain completely. If you hold the white shirt up to the light, you can still see that slight shadow of an old stain. And I stumble a bit on "queer" because I feel like I am finally figuring out what my "normal" is, and calling myself "queer" would seem to suggest that my "normal"...isn't!

But then, I've never been very good at coming up with a one-word description or label for anything, much less a person or a whole group of people. I can always find some obscure reference that renders it awkward or inaccurate or incomplete in my brain, which is probably why I end up describing instead of labeling. (No wonder my 7th grader can write a 4 page essay describing her dog, while the other kids have problems coming up with more than a paragraph or two! There must be some gene for verbosity on the same chromosome as the music, trivia and nosebleeds.)

In the end, I've found myself most comfortable just saying I'm "into guys" to the few people I've come out to. It seems the most accurate and the least charged.

10. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

At 20 I did not like labels for myself. At 46 I like gay because its original meaning is happy.

11. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We can definitely go overboard with labels...for some reason "inflatosexual" popped into my head...

But seriously; I did find that avoiding the label, gay, also permitted me to avoid confronting some hard truths. Am I gay in the way that other people understand it? Probably not, but it does save time in certain social situations. Whoever wants to know me better will eventually know what I mean by "gay".

12. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

Ok googled "inflatosexual". It is a real word...

13. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well of course...some of my best friends are inflatable...

14. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

:roflmao: Oh wait...Is that insensitive? Not judging! You know your one of my favorite people,gw!(*hug*)

15. DesertTortoise

The problem with labels is the problem of 'identity.' I like Queer cause it's more in-your-face and less apologetic to hetero-normativity than 'gay.' One of the reasons I like 'faerie,' as in, 'Radical Faerie,' ... being into genderfucking and tearing down binaries and borders, it becomes an identity that defys identity... or classification.

16. Dragonbait

Dragonbait Guest

:lol: OMG, when I first read "inflatosexual" in Greatwhale's original comment, I immediately thought of those ED aids - penis pumps, but the above? :eek: I thought those things were only for driving in the HOV lane!!!

---------- Post added 10th Oct 2013 at 08:30 AM ----------

I think it all has to do with your personal frame of reference. While I absolutely love the concept of the genderfuck, and in fact, incorporate it into my daily life, using radical faerie in exchange really disturbs me. Because when I think the word "faerie", I immediately imagine little girls on Halloween with faerie wings, and to apply your concept of the term, DesertTortoise, beside that image just feels so incredibly wrong - but that's to me, again, because of my own frame of reference. :shrug:

17. someguy82

Well I don't avoid the label, I just don't care for the label. While it's probably erroneous to say that I've addressed all there is to address about my sexuality, it's something for me that's not really an issue anymore. I'm happy with who I am. I'm just not necessarily happy with being boxed into one idea that's loaded with baggage that don't apply to me, and no I don't mean the struggle for equality.

As for inflatosexuality, I can kind of see the appeal, especially when compared to some of the guys I've dated the balloons would at least be better conversationalists. Wait maybe those guys were balloons, and I just didn't now it. It would explain why some of them were lifeless bags of hot air in and out of bedroom.

18. Thunderlane

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I don't totally agree. I'm fine with the fact that some people don't label themselves if they do not want to. However, as for myself, i'm entirely attracted to men and not to women. well i can't find the latters pretty but i'm not sexually attracted and i'm sure about it. I can't define myself other than "gay". So i'm a bit annoyed when i heard all the "everybody is bi" or "labels should be prohibited" speeches. -_-)

19. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    'Cause we're the only ones worth knowing, silly! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

---------- Post added 10th Oct 2013 at 03:36 PM ----------

I think people get too hung up about labels...both their importance and their unimportance.

Labels are a tool and nothing more. When they are appropriate, there's nothing like 'em. When you don't need them, keep them in the toolbox.

On the one hand they are an important was of asserting one's identity and truth. People call me lesbian, and it just sends a chill down my spine, and I have to correct them, because to chalk me up as a lesbian denies some aspects of my reality that are very important to me. It oversimplifies me in a sense (not that I consider lesbians simple or any of that rubbish).

On the other hand, if you are experiencing shifting attractions, or exploring your sexuality, it's not like you should feel you have to belong to a club. Even if you're *not* experiencing those things, you needn't belong to a club. But when people are exploring and obsess over what label to use, I always say screw the label and just do things that sound and feel good to you. Then by the time you need a label in the future, the right one will probably suggest itself.

But to the OP: a note on your associations with the word "bisexual". It is a common stereotype in our society that bisexuals are equally attracted to both sexes at all times. For the vast majority of us, though, that is way off from reality. Most bisexuals I've spoken to and heard from seem to consider sexuality on a spectrum...the Klein Grid lays out a scale from 0 (totally straight) to 6 (totally gay). I come out at about a 4. You could be a 5.5...who knows? Peoples' sexualities also shift and change over time (some bisexuals think this is a critical part of the definition of bisexuality as well)...so you may have been a 6, but are shifting leftward on the scale.

Because of the stereotype that all bisexuals are 3's, I can understand your reluctance to use that label liberally...it sounds like it might confuse more than clarify. So I get your frustration. But again, in most cases in society, it just isn't necessary to apply a label to yourself at all. I'm like DesertTortoise myself...when I'm in mixed company and I have a need to label myself, I often just use "queer" as a generic term...but when people make explicit assumptions about that, then I have the option to haul out the bisexual label...but usually there's been a bit of conversation by that point and I can give the explanation about what that label does and doesn't mean.

20. DesertTortoise

Dragonbait,

,The Radical Faeries are a kind non-movement movement. There have been RF gatherings since 1979, and one of those who brought this together, Harry Hay, was fighting for gay rights going back to the 50's. Hay did research into the history of queers in different cultures--like the Two-Spirit people in some American indiginous peoples, and resisted the idea that queers should aspire to acceptance in the hetero-normative world--that we have a role we can play in history, as creative ungendering outsiders. Hay had been a communist, and applied Marx's idea of class consciousnes to queers.... that if we become conscious of who we are and what we can be, we can create a new consciousness and culture that will benefit, not just queers, but everyone--as hetero people are as imprisoned in oppresive patriarchal exploitive structures as queers--and all minorities.
    There are sancturaries in several states, in Europe... and one in Thailand: probably more than 50, many of them, like Short Mountain in Tennessee and Wolf Creek in Oregon, are self-sustaining, growing food, caring for animals... chickens and goats. I was at the fall gathering in the santuary in Tennesse last week. Some 300 RF's. In the spring, there are close to 800 at Short Mountain Santurary.
    That's the context for me. "Fire in the Moonlight" is a good introduction--a collection of pieces by Faeries going back to the first gatherings. Faeries are as varied as the rest of the queer world--muscle boys, bears, sissy boys, 'leather-wings' ... I self-identify as a Radical Faerie--and having a desert tortois as my spirit animal very much goes alongside being a Faerie.
    The Wiki piece on RF's is not bad.

#20 DesertTortoise, Oct 10, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2013