1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The hottest day in july for the UK. Ever.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Ryu, Jul 1, 2015.

1. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    But you know - in Earth's early days with all the lava and stuff it was hotter! Yeah! So you're lying when you say it's the hottest day ever!
    The above constitues absolute proof that climate change is a hoax. Now go invest in fossil fuels, bitches!

Yeah!

2. asphalt

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    mm, petrol fumes.

3. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The Netherlands is experiencing extreme temperatures as well. Apparently, last night (1st of July - 2nd of July) was the hottest since we started recording meteorological data 1901. [1] Saturday temperatures might reach 38 °C (100,4 °F) here. [1]

I hope people will drink plenty of water, we are not used to those temperatures here.

[1] - weeronline.nl - Tropische dagen

4. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    One good aspect to hot weather... guys get their shirts off. :wink:

5. asphalt

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    ^ this. i've heard a hell of a lot of people complain about guys walking around without shirts on; our sainsburys had a notice in the door last year stating that anyone not wearing a shirt would be asked to leave the shop, couldn't really wrap my head around either sentiment.

6. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Once, when i was working the night shift at a convenience store supermarket chain, 3 quite fit guys were walking around in just their underware :thumbsup:

University students for life

#26 Robert, Jul 2, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
  7. My friends and I talked about this since we report about international news (including weather phenomenon) in our school newspaper. We were laughing our asses off because that's practically normal in SoCal.

In LA, the record is about 43 C (109 F) in July.
    The city I live in has a record of 107 F today (July 2), which is about 42 C. We've experienced hotter...

#27 anthonythegamer, Jul 2, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  8. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Right now, at eleven, we've got 25 degrees celsius in Düsseldorf.

Been running up and down the whole day, sweating from head to toe, and don't get me started about the effect that girls in summer dresses had on me...

9. 741852963

The thing you have to remember is that air conditioning (outside of retail areas) is a rarity. And the aircon in shops/offices is no way comparable to that used in the States (which feel like blast chillers!), instead they provide a very slight cooling (so people don't have the same escape from the heat).

ALSO residential home design is completely different to that of the US:
    Firstly the houses are a LOT smaller (in terms of floorspace and ceiling height) and so a lot more stuffy - definitely no aircon or ceiling fans in your average home either.
    Secondly they are designed to maintain heat - most houses have thick loft insulation and cavity wall insulation. Insulating carpet underlay or reflective underflooring are also common.

The above is needed due to the UK having a much cooler climate. Whilst temperatures in Southern California may drop to about 22F (9C) in Winter, in the UK below freezing is not uncommon. 9C would be what we call "shorts and tshirt weather"!

Another thing to bear in mind is people in SoCal have longer to be acclimatised to heat - it is a constant. In the UK temperatures like these are very freak and come out of nowhere. We had thick snow just over two months ago, the last two months have been cool and then all of a sudden you have heat. As such, unless you are someone who travels a lot or frequents saunas, it is hard to have a tolerance built up, so heat exhaustion is a risk.

#29 741852963, Jul 2, 2015
  10. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Everything is relative, of course. In the UK, we'd laugh at Californians who bundle up when it falls below 60 degrees when that's a warm day in March - and usually the first opportunity of the year to go outside in a T-shirt. I also had a good laugh at some Sydney newspaper raving on about the coldest spell of weather in 10 years because it fell to 4 degrees Celsius overnight.

I remember one day in late March 2 years ago when the temperature was about 30F, the snow was blowing horizontally - I'd be willing to bet your typical Californian would die instantly, like a delicate flower. We had about 10 inches that day. When was the last time Los Angeles had 10 inches of snow?

But yeah, acclimatisation is an important factor. In London, it went from 77F on Monday, to 86F on Tuesday, to 98F on Wednesday and today it was at 81F. This is common in Western Europe - a quick spell of hot weather from the south before it gets shunted away by Atlantic winds.

#30 imnotreallysure, Jul 2, 2015
  11. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Are you mad? This sort of heat is not normal, except in an oven. :slight_smile: We are used to wind and rain and frost in May. We don't do heat in the UK. We're not designed for it. :lol:

12. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Kent got hotter than it did here last summer. That's quite an accomplishment.

13. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It kind of screws with the queen's tea time.

14. Joelouis

People still took time to complain about the weather here - like we always do.

Yesterday: "It's too hot - I can't bear it!"
    Today: "I knew it wouldn't last - it's bloody raining again!"

Though it was a bit hot for me, it still wasn't as hot as it was when I went to Cairns, in Australia.

15. SimplyJay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I just assumed wall insulation & thick attic/loft insulation were normal.
    Any house here has that (unless its really old) ... but then again it can get really cold here in the winter. Allot of houses here don't have air-con either (most anything built in the past couple decades does, but older than that, nope unless it was added)

I consider a 9C/48F winter day as t-shirt weather too :slight_smile:
    (22F would be -5C .. deff cold enough for a jacket)

16. Foz

Foz Guest

17. Lazuri

It was excruciatingly hot here too at around 30-33 degrees. And I spent the day helping my sister move. She sure picked a day for it.

18. 741852963

But again there is the big difference of size.

Your typical Colorado home is going to be a lot more spacious (and have better airflow) than a boxy 1930s semi or Victorian back-to-back terrace (which represent the typical homes most have in the UK). Its to do with the availability of land; land is a lot cheaper in the states.

Its partly psychological too. When its warm the last place you want to be is stuck in a small enclosed room, it can be claustrophobic. Add in the fact that many UK homes either don't have gardens (sorry, "lawns!") or only have limited outdoor space and its a different scenario alltogether. And there is certainly no private residential pools here unless you are a millionaire and cold outdoor public pools are a bit of a rarity!

I consider a 9C/48F winter day as t-shirt weather too :slight_smile:
    (22F would be -5C .. deff cold enough for a jacket)[/QUOTE]

Whoops, I meant 48F/9C!