LGBT News The great "bathroom war" goes down the toilet.

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Canterpiece, Dec 24, 2015.

1. justine16

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I find it ironic how a lot of the people who oppose transgender equality in restroom access based on the myth of predators abusing it also oppose the Violence Against Women Act. Talk about hypocrisy.

2. WhereWeWere

WhereWeWere Guest

The concept of urinals seems unnecessary... if we just had one big bathroom with a bunch of stalls, everyone can have their own little private section. I could care less what set of genitals the person has next to mine. Their genitalia isn't my business.

The whole concept of bathrooms is to take a shit and/or piss and get out. There's absolutely no nudity (which some men have skewed in their heads that there is), I can understand gendered locker rooms, but bathrooms? Eh...

3. Im Hazel

IDk how sports really works, but can't you have stalls in that?

4. WhereWeWere

WhereWeWere Guest

Probably. And it's not just sports- middle & high schools (at least in the US) have locker rooms so they can change into their gym class uniforms. Having gym class seems kind of pointless to me in the first place (if somebody wanted to get fit they would do it in their own time), but creating multiple stalls would probably cost them too much money (of course).

This is why schools in general are such a problem to trans teens. Bathrooms, locker rooms. Personally, I don't feel comfortable stripping off my clothes in front of anyone, regardless of gender, unless they're a close friend and I don't care whether or not they see me half-naked. Though in general, locker rooms have always been very awkward for me.

5. thepandaboss

Exactly. I count myself extremely fortunate to live in a city where bathroom rights are acknowledged for transgender citizens. And in my city and others where trans rights are on the table, we've never seen cases of rape or assault in bathrooms as a result. That's demeaning both to trans people and to people who have been raped/assaulted before (and I'm one person who falls into both camps).

6. Natasha Elyssa

This is a predicament, but we must keep the faith. Someday we will "free the pee" and feces as well. Remember races were separated for a long time. "Color" and "White" bathrooms existed. It may take a few years, or a few lifetimes, but we will be free someday. People like me will be able to free overall someday. Every group has struggled. We are no different. It's a matter of change and change is very difficult. People practically thought black people were the fricken' Bubonic plague. Look at Jackie Robinson. It's just like that for LGBT now. Especially since some people seem to accept homosexuality more than transgenderism and vice versa. People think of someone like me as a threat to their wives and children, but if they think that way they are more dangerous than I will ever be. It's important to remain strong, and keep pushing forward until said time that we are free. Nothing comes easily. ^-^ <3

7. Euler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    NO! As a man I vehemently oppose this idea! If gender neutral bathrooms were to be introduced, the average bathroom wait time for men would increase because on average women take much longer time in bathroom than men. (The reason why there is always much longer queue to the women's bathroom.)

8. Im Hazel

Are you actually fucking serious right now? You would sacrifice the comfort of transgender people for waiting times?

9. Euler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Tragically some people are born without sense of humor...

However, on a more serious note. Even if I had been entirely serious about this, so what? Would it make me somehow bad person if I value my own comfort more than some random person's comfort? Especially if I have no problem with trans people in gendered bathrooms in general?

Or let's take it a bit further. Unisex bathrooms are uncommon not because men feel uncomfortable in unisex bathrooms but because women do. So do you put the comfort of trans people (who represent less than 1% of general population) above the comfort of 50% of the population? Is the collective discomfort of the women somehow less valuable than the collective discomfort of trans people?

10. SpiderGwen

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    You know, if you just respect other people's privacy in the restroom like you're supposed to, this all becomes a non-issue. Unfortunately, boys are taught from an early age that whipping it out and watching other boys piss is somehow, like... normal or something. I hope to whatever holy women aren't like that. Never seen any evidence either way. But seriously, especially in America, we seem to believe there's some public business to how everyone pees. There isn't. Demanding in any way to know is creepy and weird. My genitals are NONE of your business, whether I have the same ones as you in the bathroom or not. I don't care if we're all born with penises, I don't want you looking at mine all weird and creepy when I'm trying to go.

People are messed up. Urinals shouldn't even exist. Seriously. Privacy should actually mean something, and damn it all if I live in Bizzaroland where that's not something we value.

11. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    That's what many do here in Germany, who wants to pay 1 Euro for a cabin with a bush next to it :roflmao:

Me neither. He won't starve anyways, I'm sure of that : They keep their cubs happy, that's why there are so many of them out there.

12. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This I agree with, saying as when in high school there was a lesbian couple having sex in the stair well.
    A straight couple expelled for sex in the female bathroom
    Another straight couple expelled for sex in the men's restroom.
    A gay couple in the weight training room
    Another lesbian couple in the stair well and an ambulance had to be called do to a sex toy mishap.
    Another straight couple in the men's restroom.
    The frequent make/sex spot that is behind the bleachers.

Honestly, it seems keeping opposite genders out of restrooms won't stop anyone from having sex in public if they think they can get away with it.

And how do they expect to check if someone has the 'right' equipment for that room. If you're looking in their pants than you are the Prevert and on your way to a lawsuit.

13. WhereWeWere

WhereWeWere Guest

Dare I ask?

Anyways... that's a crazy school you went to. At mine, all people do is laugh at each other for not having an iPhone 6s... or they try to get each other's Jordans dirty.

14. FootballFan101

There would be a pile of stalls though because of the absence of walls, differnt entrances etc. etc. I couldn't care less about waiting time TBH

---------- Post added 27th Dec 2015 at 02:33 AM ----------

You would get used to it, it would be normal after a year or two

#34 FootballFan101, Dec 26, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2015
  15. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    All I know is that something got stuck xD

Yeah, with in the 4 surrounding school districts mine was know for having the most girls preggers before/at 16. Being a virgin was sure to get ya picked on.

I'm always amazed that guys never complain about how trans people in their bathroom might try to rape then. There are two issues going. 1) people are demonizing trans people
    And
    2) people still can't grasp the concept that men get raped as well.

As it is, every account of assault in the bathroom (that I've read so far) is a guy dressed as a guy assaulting women
    Or cis people assaulting a trans person who is trying to pee.

16. WhereWeWere

WhereWeWere Guest

This actually really bothers me. I remember hearing a story about an eleven year old boy who was raped by a twenty-something woman. Not only is this kid is eleven, he did not consent. And all of the comments were filled with presumably cis/straight males saying, "Wow, what a lucky boy, I've always wanted to bang my baby sitter!" and stuff like that.

Many male rape victims do not speak up about being raped as well, for fear of being seen as a "pussy" or that they "should have enjoyed it".

It's disgusting, it's so disgusting.

Rape is rape, no matter who it is.

And not only this: if people don't want "men" (transwomen) in the women's bathrooms, that is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Women, you really want a lady like Laverne Cox in a bathroom with your husband?

17. FootballFan101

You are 110% right there friend

18. TempUsername3

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    The point of gym class is to build a habit of keeping fit. Its part of battling childhood obesity issues. You can argue "love your body" but loving your body isn't going to save you from diabetes and heart problems.

In my school our locker rooms had toilet stalls and we'd pretty much just get changed in there.

---------- Post added 28th Dec 2015 at 01:23 PM ----------

Also, as someone who is AFAB and gets kicked out of female bathrooms because I mostly present as male. What happens if I were to use a female restroom over there? Do I get arrested because by law, I'm using the bathroom they want me to use but I just happen to look like a man.