1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News The George Santos mess

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Tightrope, Dec 28, 2022.

1. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
  2. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Agreed this is crazy and how none of this was discovered long ago. It's consistent though for the maga/gop to lie, cheat and steal to try to win as they know their policies are not popular with most of us.

3. DecentOne

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I read today that a local paper did spot inconsistencies before the election and they called him out and said they would not endorse him. Nobody picked it up - not the big papers, not his opponent.

4. Incoming

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    David Brooks of the New York Times wrote an insightful article on this - from the point of view of psychology, rather than politics

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/12/28/opinion/george-santos-lies.html

What drives high-profile people to lie compulsively - after all, surely they must know the truth will be revealed, and their careers possibly ruined ?

It's all the more interesting for us folk here, because Santos also pretended (or not?) to be gay...

Well, I think being LGBT can easily lead a person to suffer from fractured identities and profound self-doubt - in that sense I almost empathize with the guy. But he has no business being a politician.

Let's not forget about another young, closeted Republican knucklehead whose lies were finally exposed to his detriment - the infamous Aaron Schock...

5. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    He needs to go. I don't know how much empathy I have for him. If he was a compulsive liar in social settings, that's one thing. We've all heard stories of how people make stuff up to hang out with richer and more influential people. For him to push it all the way to Washington DC, it turned egregious.

If he was so untrustworthy during his campaign, then he can't be expected to remain trustworthy or even capable while holding office.

6. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people