1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News The Eurovision winner Netta claims that she is a straight girl with a "gay story"

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by WeirdQueer, Jul 30, 2018.

1. WeirdQueer

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The Eurovision winner Netta from Israel said recently that she is a straight girl with a gay story. Why? Because she was bullied and hated under the years at school, because she seemed more fat than usual to others. She also says that she was ashamed of herself and that she tried to make herself thinner, without success. She thinks then that she have gone through what a gay individual could go through.

2. skittlz

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Uh, who said straight girls didn’t get bullied?
    Maybe she was trying to relate to gay fans by connecting with the shared experiences of being bullied / feeling ashamed. Mamamoo, a kpop girl group, had a band member relate to her experience (as an Asian) being bullied for her darker skin color as being black. Obviously, people didn’t take that well.
    Probably had no bad intentions, but her words lacked tact

3. Denial

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This. Bullying is a human story, it's only a gay story if you mix in homophobia.

4. Rin311

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Netta has become a bit of a gay icon in Israel. She’s probably trying to relate to her newly-found fans.

5. WillowVal

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Her strife, despite the torment is may have brought her, does not correlate with how a gay person could be treated. She was bullied, yes. She may have been talked about, laughed at, maybe hit around. However, in many places in the world, being gay is what will get you killed. Even in places where there are laws against such a thing, you can still be disowned by your own family and friends.

In my opinion, comparing her own struggle to the hardship of a lgbt person is slightly irresponsible of her and just does not add up.

6. Loves books

She's a fat girl with a fat girl story. There are not people saying fat people will convert people in to being fat and you won't be killed or jailed in some countries for being fat. So she was bullied so were a lot of people I was bullied unrelated to being gay and their experiences werent at the forefront of my mind. Then again I never saw gay people being bullied because no one was out in my school including me. I can't have been the only lesbian in an all girls school even if there was only 200 students total from ages 12 to 18. In the same town there was also the all boys school and the co ed school but all class sizes were small.