1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Texas Fertilizer Plant Explodes - Many Dead

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Tim, Apr 17, 2013.

1. Hexagon

Yeah, I'm not saying I think it is an attack, just that obviously its a possibility, and that I hope it isn't.

As for the death count, UK news says its 5-15 dead, not 100

2. Byron

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It sounds like the water from the firefighters hose might have led to the explosions. This is why they needtoteach firefighters near these plants how to deal with chemical fires, and the plant should have its own CO2 tank for them to use to combat the fire.

3. Ticklish Fish

It's funny cause on another part of the web I'm in, people say how like, in Middle East, ain't nobody report the explosion and shooting that happens pretty much every single day. and maybe comment how like to some degree american lives are worth more than others or something.

heh.
    the world needs a chill pill

4. Emberstone

Thank you republican efforts to dismantle safety inspections and regulations...

this plant, records show, has not had a safety inspection in over five years. thats the kind of neglegence that led to the deep horizen oil rig explosion and resulting oil spill, and quite a few non-unionized mine disasters.

5. Byron

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree that chemical plants should undergo routine inspections on a regular basis and that there should be regulations to keep them far from urban areas.

I have to ask why you would jump to the conclusion that this disaster is the fault of people identifying themselves as belonging to the republican party?

6. Tim

Tim

For anyone curious as to how this happened still, here's a demonstration on youtube of what happens when Liquid Ammonia, which was what was in the huge tanks, is met with water... which the firefighters tried to douse the flames with.

[youtube]jGUydhfZ18w[/youtube]

Now, imagine that on a ginormous scale with fire to fuel it.

7. GayLibertarian

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    This tragedy can be attributed to a number of factors, but all our government's efforts at this point should be search and rescue, assisting displaced victims and making sure that West, Texas is a safe place to be at this point in time.

Then comes how this happened. I personally don't believe this was an attack, I mean, fertilizer plants are almost fire-prone when not properly inspected and maintained, which this plant, based on lots of information, was not. We need to figure out whether this was a freak occurrence or if plants around this nation are not inspected properly (which wouldn't surprise me).

We'll figure out in the coming weeks and months, so I'd rather not speculate to this point.

8. starfish

This has been all over the news here.

I've been to West quite a few time. They are know for their Czech bakeries. I usually stop there on my way to Dallas or Oklahoma.

9. Emberstone

these such inspections used to be required by law, and for places like this, often quarterly.

then the republican party, professing the anti-regulation bs, stripped the regulations away, saying it was goverment overeach that was onerous to coorporations.

10. Byron

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Then it is the corporation that is at fault for not self regulating.

Also, regulation of plants like this, as long as the company participates in interstate commerce, should fall squarely under federal control.

11. The username

If this is true, that is incredibly stupid. If it is one thing I have taken from my environmental engineering course this semester, is that there are so many unnecessary clean up projects that could have been avoided with regulations. Which costs more, inspections or cleanup? Yeah...

However, I agree Bryon. The company, if not be regulated by the government, should have run inspections. Not only could it have prevented this, but now damage and etc. is on them.

Shame really. I was not expecting that when I watched the video.

12. Emberstone

The problem is that too many coorporations will shirk the responcibility of self regulation because it cost money, which cuts into their profits.

another problem in the deregulation push is that when republican failed to repeal regulations, they often worked to deminish the fines to the point that it was laughable. where you might be fined 500k-2million dollars for a grevious safety violations in a mine, since the efforts to remove the teeth from the fines, sometimes, the fine is now 50k-100k. the mine owners (the murray mining company is grotesquely known for this) will just pay the fines rather than fix the problems, and in the case of Murray, the safety violations have led to collapses and deaths.

13. FJ Cruiser

Emberstone, stop trying to make this political, and cut out the hindsight bullshit, especially without providing sources.