1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Teacher/Military Appreciation

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by musicteach, May 4, 2020.

1. musicteach

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This week is teacher appreciation week, and the month of May is military appreciation month. Having done both of these things, I can say that they are both insanely out of the roof jobs that deserve way more respect than they get. I think as far as teachers go, my job is unique with unique challenges but I also have unique opportunities and rewards. As far as the military goes, I’ve traveled all over the world, performed in front of royalty but I also know I had it easy compared to some.

2. Chierro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'd feel more appreciated by my school district if they offered me my current job full time for next school year...

3. musicteach

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Might be a good time to petition for it! We had 75 teachers petition for full time positions next time and were approved. That was district wide.

4. Chierro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    We're a smaller, rural district and while we dominate in academics, it apparently looks like we're going to be losing tax money for next school year. (Of course we recently hired a man for a job that was created and his base salary was enormous...and he also got hired as our football coach at $8000...)

My department leads are continually trying to fight for the position. And apparently my principal and assistant principal have been advocating for the position staying (probably because otherwise the library...at our high school...filled with $1000s of books would have to be shuttered). But they also are refusing to make a decision on the positions until after kids schedule for next year...which goes on for the next two weeks.

I feel like if I tried to petition for it, I'd have a lot of support from the teachers (since it's my alma mater and they taught me), but I also have no clue if it'd event work.

5. musicteach

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Can’t hurt to try. I’m submitting a bid for an assistant band director next year. Even as a temporary thing, but I’m going to need some help. As it stands right now, we’re slotted to march 517 students. I tried a couple years ago and it was flat denied because I didn’t have enough students to justify the costs. Maybe with over 500 students I can finally justify the costs. The BPA pays my staff a little bit, but it’s not much. I’ve got a staff member that’s really great and I’d love to offer it to him, if I can convince the district to put him on the staff full time.