1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Target to offer Pride Shirts.

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Paper Heart, May 26, 2012.

1. Paper Heart

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/23/target-gay-pride-t-shirt-line_n_1539227.html

Given Target's murky past regarding support for LGBT rights, how do you all feel about this?

2. Doctor Faustus

Answer: a step in the right direction I guess. But I wished they'd donate all the profits to the Council instead of what seems like a rather arbitrary amount.

3. Emberstone

I ordered a purple harmony vneck yesterday, and it shipped today.

4. Atticus

I'm ordering the sunglasses shirt, but I wanted one of the harmony shirts. None of them are stocked in my size unfortunately.

5. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Either a ploy, or a step in the right direction, hopefully it is the latter.

6. justchris

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don't like the move considering that the shirts are only available online. I want to see them in stores as a sign of having nothing to hide in terms of their support for the community.

7. Emberstone

Target has a weird record. their anti-gay record tends to be them supporting anti-gay politicians who promise to help targets coorporate needs. Yet they also are supportive of gay people.

Playing both sides is their thing.

8. Dan82

They probably wouldn’t sell enough to justify using valuable shelf space for them.

9. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

They are all in for the money. They can suck it.

10. Ianthe

Target supports republicans for other reasons than gay rights issues. Not everyone who supports the Republican Party is anti-gay. Many have other issues that are more important to them. Corporations support politicians based on their policies related to corporations, which has nothing to do with gay rights.

We can encourage mainstream stores to carry gay related stuff by buying it when they do, or we can continue to not have gay related stuff in stores. Target is a corporation. It does not have human feelings. Corporations are driven by profit. But it is in our interest to make it profitable for them to cater to us.

I think it's a good thing for people to see pride related stuff in Target. Therefore, I will happily buy pride related stuff there, because it will make them more likely to continue carrying it.