1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Support groups? >~<

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ShawnThePanda, Jan 20, 2013.

1. ShawnThePanda

In a cacoon waiting to become a Shawnerfly
    I'm thinking about joining a support group for lgbt and allies. I'm wondering(since I've never been to one) what people generally do in support groups. I know each might be a bit different but I'm really curious >~<

2. Rivers

I'm also considering joining a support group, and have been told by a friend that what goes on is simple: feelings are discussed, and people just hang out. It could be different for your community.

3. Oddish

Oddish Guest

I'm actually stopping by a GLBT support group today. Mum kinda shoved me into going but I'm still glad about it nonetheless...

I'll come back and talk about what happened. Million dollars it's like a group therapy session full of gay and even more gay.

4. photoguy93

It depends. The one at my school is pretty much a social hour. If you want that, then go. But I don't know how "supportive" they will be.

5. prism

I actually consider EC my support group. I would imagine you would do some of the same things in a group in real life (ask questions, tell stories, ask for advice, etc.)

6. J Snow

Before I elaborate on my actual experience, let me get you a bit of personal advice, DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! GO!

Support groups have been a HUGE aid to me. I can say with nearly absolute certainty that were it not for attending one, I would not have started transition yet, or at the very least I wouldn't be as far into it as I am.

As for what they are like, it varies a lot. I've been two different ones. One is very structured, and the other basically is a free for all that results in chat about BDSM, video games, anime, etc. Its a lot of fun though, and the best part really is that I've made a lot of really fantastic friends through them. That more than anything is what has helped me.

7. ShawnThePanda

In a cacoon waiting to become a Shawnerfly
    Well I am going to try to go, I was just wondering. I think the one I'm going to is supportive but social. At least that's what the site for it said. :thumbsup: