1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Struggling with Gender Identity and Confusion

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by LazyHarpSeal, Apr 12, 2018.

1. LazyHarpSeal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi! I guess I'll just jump into it, then. I'm a teenage girl, but I've struggled with and questioned my gender identity for years. I've always been a tomboy (more "masculine" hobbies/interests, I wear more male clothing, etc). From a young age, I remember not feeling quite right being a girl, had a male best friend, clung to the term "tomboy" to describe myself, and I didn't understand gender norms (for example, I hated it when the boys and girls got separated for book secret santas and I got one about princesses when I'd much rather have one about something else). I did things like trying to pee standing up, and I practically had a crisis when my period started and literally cried in the middle of a Wal-Mart because I didn't want to buy my first bra (wasn't because I was afraid it was going to be uncomfortable; it was something else entirely...) and put off getting one for years, even though I really needed one. After I hit puberty, it felt very strange for me when people would call me "she", and I began to fantasize about people calling me male pronouns and presenting as male in public. I also hated it when I was required to wear dresses or nagged to put in makeup, and it just made me feel bad in a way I couldn't explain (but now recognize as gender dysphoria). A while back, I did research on transgender people, discovered I was somewhere in middle on the masculinity-femininity spectrum (I always preferred looking androgynous and had both male and female hobbies, but more often male) decided I was non-binary, cut my hair short, and asked to be referred to with "they" pronouns. It felt great! I loved presenting as neither male nor female, and it just felt "right". For the first time in a while, I could look in the mirror and see someone I recognize. But after a while of thinking about it, I began to wonder if I wasn't really a boy or a girl, and I started getting really confused and extra dysphoric (I started feeling major body dysphoria when I'd only experienced social dysphoria before and maybe just a little body dysphoria before, for example). I then gave up and started to identify as a cis female again and figured I was just a really gender non-conforming person, but I'm back here because there's something gnawing in the back of my mind telling me that that isn't right. Most of the time, I'm content with identifying as female, but sometimes I have a gender crisis like right now and wish I were a boy (or at least something other than a girl). I have my doubts, though, because I don't feel much body dysphoria (I do not want to get surgery or hormones), and I'm generally okay with the body parts I have (except my breasts sometimes, but only because they keep me from presenting as male). I also feel, deep down, it is my nature to be female (sure, a weird one, but still a "she") and whenever I say I am a "he", I feel as if I'm lying to myself and pretending to be something I wish I was. But I simply cannot get over the rush I feel when I look in the mirror when I crossdress or when someone accidentally mistakes me for a boy in public! I don't know it this is something I just want to do sometimes for fun (like just become a crossdresser), but all I know is that something definitely does not feel right. This is something I've experienced for years, and I don't think one post on this website will fix my problems. But I hope some of you have some advice for me at least.

Thanks in advance,
    K

#1 LazyHarpSeal, Apr 12, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
  2. AlexJames

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    this is my dilemna. i feel gender euphoria looking in the mirror when binding, it feels indescribably relaxing and just right if i'm packing all alone safe in my room, and getting referred to as he/his online feels right and if its in a new situaiton i'll still get that rush of euphoria and be happy about it for the rest of the day. But at the same time i'm like, just cause i physically feel like that, am i still just a fraud?

i just say that i'm a trans guy online cause it easier but i think if i had to be exact, its transmasculine because there is a small feminine part of me. It likes a select few girl things like wax warmers and essential oil diffusers and bath and body works and decorating for the holidays, and while i would never want to wear a pretty dress or a cute top i like to look at them. i guess cause they'd look nice on other people, on girls, but on me i don't think i'd be comfortable.

3. LazyHarpSeal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I relate to this quite a bit. I get that sort of euphoria, but I feel like a fraud. I generally feel okay for liking a few feminine things (because a lot of guys do), but I feel like, at my core, I should be female and that I'm trying to be something I can never truly become.

#3 LazyHarpSeal, Apr 12, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
  4. AlexJames

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I deal with it by separating gender identity and gender expression. With expression, well some guys are feminine and society thinks that's bad but that doesn't mean they're right. i can be a guy that likes nice smelling things, for example. Its like guys wearing pink, really.

Physically i identify with being a boy so much more than i ever did a girl. What solidified my identification as a transguy was that i was so confused and distraught trying to pin down questions i asked myself like "what does it mean to be a girl" cause i couldn't figure out if i identified with being a girl, what does it even mean to be a girl, etc. I couldn't come up with an answer, so i concluded i'm not a girl because of that and the fact that physical stuff just feels so right and euphoric.

Being called male pronouns online, dressing like a guy as best i can, physical things like binding and packing, feel way more right and even euphoric. I never had that with anything girly. I feel so much more confident in this state of mind than i ever have at any point in my life thinking i was just a girl who sucked at being a girl.

I feel like a fraud because being isolated growing up meant i have little socialization with people my own age. So i can't really make conversation with anybody guy or girl. And cause i'm not your typical active sports loving guy, i'm more of a bookworm and gamer nerd, there's that to contend with as well. I feel like try as i might surely i will always be 'that trans dude' at best and never truly belong anywhere.

5. LazyHarpSeal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Okay, I'll have to think about that for a while. I think you and I are in pretty similar situations. I also have a lot of trouble with what it means to be a girl and if I identify with whatever's that is etc, like you talked about, and if I am a guy, I'm more of a bookworm/video game nerd/sensitive guy as well. I'll have try binding/packing/etc and see if it makes me feel any better and if I identify with that more. I just struggle a lot because there's still a big part of me that sees myself as female and is still comfortable with that/even desires it sometimes. I don't know. It's just all very confusing and not fun at all.

6. AlexJames

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    There is a term for being both at once, its called bigender. there's another called genderfluid where it switches from day to day from boy to girl or nonbinary or whatever. so if sometimes you identify with and like your pronouns/name/primary and secondary sex characteristics, perhaps your not straight up trans but something else similar. like i've told other people what helped me most was experimenting in real life. doing things i'd always wanted to try and seeing how it made me feel, just going with the flow and seeing what made me feel confident and euphoric, which to me were totally foreign feelings.

#6 AlexJames, Apr 13, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  7. LazyHarpSeal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah. I've wondered if I was genderfluid in the past, because some days I don't mind being my birth gender, but other days I experience gender dysphoria and just want to get out and be something else. But that's just so difficult to think about, you know? How am I supposed to function in life when I am a "he" some days and a "she" others? And wouldn't it just be easier to accept that I'm a girl and then cope with the gender dysphoria the times I have it? I'll try experimenting in real life and see where it gets me. Maybe it'll help me figure something out.

8. AlexJames

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    ok. yeah being trans (in any sort of identity) is all about action...talking about it on here only helps so much. i think a lot of it isn't about talking and easy answers but trying stuff out and seeing what feels right and such. but at the same time it does help a lot to take your observations and put them on here to discuss with others. i've learned a lot and got a lot of ideas from people on here. most of all i think it helps to not feel alone. I know how it feels to just want to understand yourself for once, it sucks. but it'll get better. for me, i experience gender euphoria more prominently than i do gender dysphoria. cause i got so used to the gender dysphoria i guess, with my mom being an emotionally/mentally abusive bitch.

#8 AlexJames, Apr 13, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2018