1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Strategies for when you stop breathing

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by method, Oct 16, 2014.

1. method

So this is kind of not serious, but in another way is actually very serious.

Have you ever been in a situation when you find yourself next to someone who takes your fancy and you have to play it totally cool, but you can't because your chest tightens, everything sounds a million times louder and you can hear yourself breathing so you try and breathe less and less, and you hear your heart beating faster because you are fricken nervous AND you know you are no longer getting oxygen into your lungs, and it's a horrible vicious circle to the point where you pretty much die on the spot.

I'm speaking of situations where you can't run away easily, and where you and them can't talk for whatever reason for most or the whole time. Some of my own scenarios: squashed in the back of a car next to a cute guy, standing right next to a guy in a crowded meeting room for work, taking a seat next to a cute guy in a show/presentation where you need to sit silently, and that ends up lasting for two hours.

What do you do??!

(The only way I've been dealing with it is to, in between excuses to go to the toilet, cough so that I can finally breathe in, or blow my nose. But then I feel like such a leper when I do it over and over again - what a complete turn off. There goes my chances.)

2. Hexagon

Have you tried vulcan meditation?

3. method

Nope! (I had to Google that one. It had too many words so I didn't look too deeply into it)

4. CyclingFan

That kinda sounds like a panic attack

5. TheStormInside

It does sound like a panic attack. I think going to the restroom is a good way to excuse yourself to go gather your emotions up a bit. When I start to have a panic attack I have to remind myself to slow my breathing, too. It's not quite "lamaze" breathing but it's similar. Just be mindful of your breaths, breathe in and out slowly and purposefully, and it may help you to calm down a bit.

6. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, I've never been that scared. Especially if it's a hot guy, I go out of my way to put him out of my mind. That is unless he seems to be interested in me. Then, it's:
    [​IMG]
    See more on Know Your Meme

7. shinji

shinji Guest

Deep breath, then try and "think" what it would be like in your mind, if you were in a huge white room (imagine, Matrix?!), force yourself to visualize said white room... Then crack a knuckle or something, to shock yourself back into reality and get them endorphins flowing.

8. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Breathe in and out of a paper bag

9. One Man Army

I'll normally whisper something to myself in French, get progressively louder and then shout MERDE!! MERDE!! and run away, pretending to catch an imaginary bus.

It works every time.

It also explains why I don't have a boyfriend.

10. method

Is that what a panic attack is then..? I would have never described myself as ever having had a panic attack

I shall try some of these suggestions next time.

Resu- I don't get scared, it's more that my body's physiological system just decides to go haywire without my permission.

11. bicomplicated

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, it's a panic attack. I've never gotten them around crushes or anything like that. But if I have a lot of stress in my life, I tend to get panic attacks. The first time it happened, I went to the ER thought I was having a heart attack, but it was just panic! I felt crazy. Anyway, I breath into a paper bag to regulate my breathing. Or if you are in public, just make an effort to regualte your breathing. Long, slow breaths, in through the nose, out through the mouth, until you begin breathing regularly. "Smell your flower, and blow out your candle." It actually helps to visulaize this as you regulate your breathing. Also force yourself to think about things that do not stress you out. Good luck managing your stress!

12. CyanChachki

You might want to check with your doctor.. definitely not a good sign. As other's said before me, it sounds a lot like a panic attack. Pay a visit to your doctor and see if they can do anything for you.