1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Straight-acting hate? is it real?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by deadmau5ftw, Dec 27, 2013.

1. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I understand what your saying but aren't we all human beings because to me the term straight acting comes off like some one saying well here's a guy or girl that acts like everyone else . Maybe i'm taking it too far but i wish this term would die just hate it being used

2. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That brings up an interesting question: is the fascination with "straight acting" so prevalent in lesbian communities? I feel it's a largely queer male problem, since there's a lot more pressure to act "masculine", and the same freedom women have with gender expression aren't easily granted to men. On the other hand, femmephobia probably doesn't exist in the same context, since that's the "natural default", but at the same time, I haven't seen too much fire aimed at butch lesbians for being different, not like when the topic of effeminate gay men comes up. Either it's less of a problem, or people are less open with their prejudices.

I've always thought sexuality, like expressions of gender, came in shades, but with males, especially, they're pushed to conform to either of the extremes, like two warring camps. If "straight acting" guys weren't in demand for some people, these types might be less likely to describe themselves that way; it would only hint at insecurity, with none of the perceived benefits, of appearing "normal".

One major problem is visibility: gay men are still painted with a broad brush, people think of stereotypical media tropes when they hear the word. There is nothing wrong with these types, but society needs to get it out of their head that being gender non-conforming doesn't automatically make a person LGBT, and that there are plenty of LGBT folk who would fly right under most people's radars.

We seriously need to fight the idea that femininity and women = weak, inferior, bad, and that your sexuality determines how valuable a person is. It's also ridiculous to expect the cishets to treat us with respect when we can't even treat one another in a way we expect them to. So the fight should start here, definitely.

3. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I agree. I have heard some people talk crap about butch lesbians and have met a lot of people that think most lesbians are butch I think those people don't have the guts to say this to actual lesbians but i do yeah it's more of a queer male problem that's true .

4. freeskies

There shouldn't be any discrimination against straight acting gays because they are just being themselves. Even if they are not being themselves, it doesn't base for any hatred! I think the prejudice among LGBT for straight acting comes from an assumption that straight acting gays are inherently homophobic and are all a pretense. But that is being very prejudiced! As long as a straight acting gay does not insult and throw hateful remarks on other gays, I have no problem with him or her...

5. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would say easily half of the GLBT population would fly right under most people's radars, with men who aren't overly masculine and women who aren't overly feminine. They're just sort of regular and nondescript people.

As for the stereotypes, a lot of them are perpetrated from within rather than outside the ranks of gay-lesbian folks. I've only heard the term "a muscle puss" from gay guys slinging mud at gay guys with carefully groomed and worked on musculatures. The straights tend to just ask "I wonder if he's gay" (if he doesn't frequent women) and "I wonder if all that muscle and steroids have made his penis shrink."

6. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I meant to say perpetuated.