Story Writing....

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by nodoubtjunkie, Sep 14, 2008.

1. I'm a big writer, and was hugely inspired to write today, as i usually do when I'm not feeling so hot. I've got to a point where i can't think what to write, so i started another lol, but it's just a fanfic so i don't really feel like its my work. Anyone think they can help? I think i just need focus, but can't find a way to go forward.

I'll post it if people think they can help....

Thanksies

x

2. Psychedelic Bookmarks

I might be able to help, depending on what fandom/genre it is. I write my own fanfiction. =]

3. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Fanfic IS your own work.

I look at fanfiction this way. You're given a set of characters - they're like chess pieces. They only move in certain ways. This character acts THIS way, and this other one acts THAT way. So no, you can't claim credit for that. But you can still play chess with them. You can move them this way and that, and see what you come up with. And I've seen some really really good fanfic. Just because the characters aren't theirs doesn't mean the writing isn't.

As far as the writing goes, don't force it. If you hit a snag, stop. Go do something else. Lay down and daydream. Move the characters this way and that. What would happen if THIS happens? Not interesting, not what you wanted? Fine - back up, and try something else. Eventually, something hits. Something feels RIGHT. THAT's when you get back to the keyboard and start writing again. :slight_smile:

Lex

4. riley

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i would love to read your writing if you dont mind

5. The story i'm writing that i'm stuck on isn't the fanfic but the one that is not the fan fic. I will post the one i'm stuck with on my next post.

I will give a warning for chapter one, i've been told it's a little graphic, but i think thats necessary to understand the character.

6. jazzrawr

I write fanfics, but i can never make up my own characters.
    I find fanfiction more enjoyable :slight_smile:

When i can't think of ideas for something, I always listen to music or go for a walk or something like that to relax, and things just come to me.
    My inspiration bunnies come out to play ^.^ XD

7. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ick, damn plot bunnies. I write to kill them off, but they breed faster than I can extreminate them. :slight_smile:

Lex

8. Steam Giant

When I get stuck, and a good long walk doesn't unstick me, I add something to the story, like another character (or 5), another plotline, etc. The new additions will grow on their own, then involve themselves in your story, at the part that you're stuck at. Usually, this helps to unstick my plot ^^

9. Jeimuzu

I get writers block to serious extremes. Used to write a lot, but never bother now. :frowning2: I managed 13000 words for NaNoWriMo last year before I gave up.

10. I'm about half way through chapter four at the moment, but i'm now stuck. If i post the first chapter or couple of chapters, will you guys tell me, honestly, what you think? I want honest opinions here lol, i want to know if i actually have any writing talent lol.

11. I want to read it! I'll answer honestly!

When I get writers block, I walk away, but usually for a few days, so that when you come back to the piece that you have a clear head and more, fresh ideas!

12. Here is chapter one, if you want me too, i will post chapter two and three. This is just a rough draft, i need to put more into it. Let me know what you think and whether you think i should carry on writing, and if so, what can i do to improve my work?
    Thanks x

Chapter One.

All Jessie knew, was that her parents were fighting again, the connection that had brought them together was now wearing dangerously thin. Curled up in the corner of their caravan, she sobbed. The holiday that was supposed to make them a family once more, seemed to be going horribly wrong. Hearing her mother's scream, Jessie lifted her head from her knees and looked over from the darkness.

Jessie was frozen to the spot as she watched her mother plead with her father. "Please stop...!" She cried weakly, her apparent strength weakening. Jessie's father meerly laughed and spat in the face of his wife. Jessie winced with every punch that her mother recieved, she wanted to scream but found her voice had disappeared, she tried to move, to go and stop him, to beg him to stop, but found her body rigid. All Jessie could do was watch, watch as her father, he own father, beat her mother.

Her father never once stopped but he never said anything, he just used his tremendous power to cause as much pain as he knew to the woman he was supposed to show love and tenderness. Jessie looked on in horror as her father held her mothers neck, she heard the stomache turning thud as her head hit the work top, a noise, she knew she would never forget.

She watched as her father let her body slump to the floor, he kicked her in the stomache for the last time and turned away and walked out of the door. As soon as she heard the click of the lock, Jessie crawled out of hiding and ran to her mother. "Mum, Mum please!" she cried but to no avail, her mother looked up at her daughter with a look of almost regret in her face. Her chest rose and fell for the last time as her daughter watched the light fade from her eyes.

Jessie did not know how long she sat there with her mothers head cradled in her lap. Stroking her face as her mother had done when she was ill, Jessie waited for her mother to wake up from this deep sleep. Aged just six, Jessie didn't understand the actions of her father, and the consequences that had came of them. Her mother was not going to wake up, but the small girl waited patiently for her mother to arise. Jessie watched the sun rise, this was always her favourite part of the day, it meant a new day to enjoy, she knew that soon after the sun rose, she could go and play.

As the sun got brighter, she gently shook her mother's shoulders. "Mummy?" she whispered in her ear. Her mother really must be tired, Jessie thought. "Mummy, it's day time now." Jessie repeated a little louder. She began to get annoyed with her mother, she didn't like this game. Jessie shook her mothers shoulders once more, this time a little more vigorously, determined to show her mother that she was ready to stop this game now. Getting no response, she removed her mother's head from her lap and stood up. Looking down at herself, she saw the scarlet stain that was left on her dress by the injury to her mothers' head.

She began to scream.

13. I thought it was good!
    It could use some editing, and a little, more clearity, like possibly building the character's a little more.
    I think the detail is great, like the descriptive words.
    Over all I think it is a fairly good beginning! :thumbsup:

14. Gumtree

ROFL LMAO

Ahaha u sound like me!

There aren't enough stories out there where the victo-protagonist wins.

15. Psychedelic Bookmarks

Hmmm... I can see some grammar mistakes, but that may have just been caused by typing too fast - always a hazard! For example, there are loads of comma splices (where you put a comma where there should be a full stop, eg "She began to get annoyed with her mother, she didn't like this game").

I would suggest you work on being, as it were, economical with your writing - ie try not to repeat yourself. Eg, in "She cried weakly, her apparent strength weakening" the two clauses are quite repetitive and too similar for my taste. And perhaps instead of trying to use grammar patterns which you think will jazz things up, but only get stifling after repetition, just write a little more naturally.

Sorry if that was harsh... I thought it was a nice piece overall, it might just benefit from some tidying. Please don't take this as a bashing, I'm just trying to be constructive (*hug*)