1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stating a GSA

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Gera-Kun, Sep 4, 2007.

1. Gera-Kun

Ok, It's ALMOST official. my school is to have a GSA is the superattendant(sp?) will accept the request. how should i start it off? like what should i do in the GSA to help other ppl? I'm kinda lost! XP i know that i'm making it so we could fight homophobia...so how should i make it?

2. Micah

Check out this resource about keeping your GSA meetings on track

http://www.gsanetwork.org/resources/kick.html

Keep in mind that you should be adequately prepared for your meetings. Don't just expect everything to work itself out. It's great when this sort of thing happens, but always ensure you have a back up plan.

Starting out, some of things you might want to do are:
    -Spread awareness around your school about homosexual issues
    -spread news within your club about gay related community events.
    -Invite guest speakers along

Goodluck!!

3. nisomer

also check out glsen.org

4. Grof142007

Guest Speakers are Great Trust me my 2nd GSA meeting was a Guest speaker she was a transgender (Correct wording?) and I like feel in love with her story and i started coming every meeting

Btw Good Luck with it

5. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Find out what other GSA's are doing and get some ideas from some of them who have been holding meetings for awhile. Do you have advisors? That would be helpful also to have trusted adults who can help out.

6. Gera-Kun

well, i don't think they'll let me have guest speakers until i ensure that we're keeping the gsa, and also, they have it as a student-led club, which means i have to set everything up myself...it's gonna be hard! XP but i know i'm gonna get it through with the help of my friends and you guys here! ^^ and i already made up plans for the first few meetings...

7. Blueeyes

Blueeyes Guest

ive never been to a GSA meeting at my school but I think it has a pretty consistent group of people who attend the meetings. the facebook group associated with the club has around 100 members in it so that is pretty impressive. If i start to go this year ill let you know things that we are doing around here.

One of the main events of the year for our GSA is the day of silence, which gets a good portion of the student body to be silent for the day in support of gay rights (the silence is supposed represent the many people who are silent about their sexuality, i think). They also host lots of movie nights for club members and this past year they went to this conference called True Colors which brings together around 1000 GLBTQ kids from the area for a two day conference that includes a bunch of themed workshops and even a dance! I didnt go this year because I wasn't anywhere near out enough at that point, but my boyfriend went with his school's GSA too and said it was awesome.

Beyond that I know that they have a float in the Memorial Day parade every year (to the chagrin of the throngs of tight-ass Wasps who watch the parade lol). I guess a major objective of theirs is to promote discussion of GLBTQ topics and encourage people to come out etc. So hopefully I will start going to meetings and helping out with the cause sometime soon :slight_smile:

[oh and i dont have anything against Wasps, i am one in fact, so nobody be offended :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:]