1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Started Talking to New Guy: Need Advice

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by andrewshell11, Jun 21, 2017.

1. andrewshell11

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Okay so this is a long story, but I'm going to try to make it as short as possible. I started talking to a guy around a month ago. I am 21 and he is 26. We had been Facebook friends for quite some time and all of a sudden we had match on ######. I messaged him first with just "hey" and he replied. We started talking and immediately realized that I had a lot of similar interests with him. I also noticed that he sort of seemed sort of short through text, but that's understandable because you can't really judge how somebody is through a text message. Anyways, we decided to meet and go to the movies (bad idea for a first date. You can't talk much at the movies). We met and all was well. It was sort of awkward since we couldn't talk much, but we both decided that we wanted to see each other again. Fast forward about a week or so later, my sister from another state was coming in, but we thought we could do something on that Monday. That Monday came and I wasn't able to because my sister was getting in later than planned. I told him and he said it was completely fine and his parents were coming over anyways so it was no big deal. The next day he started being unfriendly. He finally said that he was irritated that I cancelled on him. I explained that it was out of my control because something came up with family. Eventually he said that he wasn't mad and that he understands. Anyways, a few days later I decided to invite him over. He came over and we ended up kissing and making out. All was great in person. He was extremely nice and friendly and I was SOOO comfortable with him. The next day he was back to texting weird again. Same thing with the next day. I finally asked when I would see him again. He just told me to tell him a date. I told him I was free on these certain days that whenever he could (because he goes to grad. school and works in the medical field). He got EXTREMELY argumentative and said that I am irritating him because I won't make a decision. I told him that I'm not trying to upset him but I was trying to make it work out for the both of us. Anyways, he ended up coming over that night. Once again, it was good. We made out more and started getting more handsy. The next day we were back to being weird through text. A day or so later I finally confronted him and asked him how he felt. I told him that I liked him and couldn't gauge how he felt because he was sort of short through text and was hard to read (I clarified that I understand that it's hard to get people through text). He said that he hated texting and that he wasn't "emotionless or short" and that he couldn't believe I would say that to him. He basically told me to have a great day that he was done talking for the day. I replied to him and told him that I wasn't saying it in a bad way. I told him I understood that he he had a different texting style than others, but I wanted to just know how he felt because the times in person were so good. He later replied and told me that me asking that question says a lot. I asked him what he meant and he replied hours later and changed the subject. I acted as if nothing happened and continued on our weird texting conversations. Eventually I asked if he wanted to do something soon (after he couldn't the previous times I asked). He said he would be able to on Monday (he told me this on Saturday I believe). I asked him what he wanted to do. He didn't reply for a while and ended up Snapchatting me later that night asking if I was awake (I fell asleep). I replied that morning and told him I was now but wasn't when I got the snapchat. He kept messaging on Snapchat and I eventually asked him again what he planned for Monday. He replied "I don't know. You need to get over it and stop stressing about it" and I just replied "I'm not. I'm just trying to figure out what we are doing so I can make plans accordingly. I didn't hear from him for a long time that day. I went out with friends and put it on my Snapchat story. He later messaged me and was acting as if nothing happened. I made some normal conversation with him. The next morning (that Monday we were supposed to do something) he messaged me that he was tired. We talked a little and eventually I asked if our plans were off. He said no they are still on. The rest of the day went on and that night at around 10:30 he asked if it were too late for him to come over. I told him no it's fine. He came over and we were going to watch a movie. He asked why I didn't have one picked out already, so I told him I was busy before getting my school stuff done so I could go straight to bed after he left because I would have to get up at 7 AM. He threw a fit! He told me that he couldn't believe I let him come over when I had to wake up so early. I told him it was no big deal because I stay up late anyways and I wouldn't have went to sleep until 2 or 3 AM anyways. Plus, I had a 4 hour gap before work to rest between. He ended up just leaving .I messaged him and told him he didn't have to leave, but he did anyways. He said he had been in relationships before where guys held that over his head and he wouldn't do that to me. He also insinuated that I made it seem as if I wanted him to leave. I told him that was not the case and that I wouldn't have told him to come if I weren't prepared to go to class the next day. He told me he wouldn't come over on a night I had class again. Then our normal texting continued for the next few days. He started getting friendlier through text a few nights ago. Then he came over on Saturday and we watched a movie. We were very comfortable with each other and made out more. We got extremely handsy and began touching and stuff (we didn't actually have sex or anything though). The next day I messaged him later in the day and told him good evening and that I was going to message him last night but I fell asleep so I couldn't. He said that he was wondering when he would hear from me again. Later that day I asked if he wanted to come over again. He acted as if he was going to but said it wasn't a good night since he had to get up early and stuff. I told him that's completely fine and that I would love for him to come but if it's not a good time then I understand. The next day (yesterday) we texted a little bit during the end of the day (he had work and school stuff to do). I fell asleep last night and this morning I hadn't heard from him. I'm assuming I probably will later today because that's how he is and he is working right now, so he can't really message while working.

My questions for you guys are: what do you think is going on here? I really want a relationship with him in a way because he's so nice in person and I've never felt that comfortable with anyone. I don't know how to go about discussing this with him because last time he freaked out because he said "I wouldn't have driven to see you so many times if I didn't like you" and stuff. I just don't know what we are. I also don't know what to do about our texting situation. It's hard for me to gauge how he really feels through these short emotionless texts. Also, I feel like next time we hang out, we will probably go all the way from the ways things have been going in the past. I'm ready for that, but I don't want it to all be for nothing, you know? Do you guys think he's genuinely interested or is just playing games? Also, how could I bring up the relationship discussion with him? I don't know if he's talking to other people or not. Not knowing what's going on makes me an emotional mess.

Sorry for the extremely long post. Sadly, that's the shortened down version. I feel like you needed all of the info to accurately see what I'm talking about.

2. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know you say that you want a relationship with this guy, but to be honest I see a lot of red flags here. The fact that he's already getting upset, arguing with you, and blaming you for the way you want to seek out time with him, and freaking out when you want to talk about it, says a lot about how he expects communication in this relationship to happen - and what kind of attention/devotion he wants from you (namely, 100%).

3. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey andrewshell11,

I agree with Gravity that there are a lot of red flags in what you wrote. You appear to be trying your best to be open, honest and maintain communication with him. His responses often seem rather immature (as if isn't really mature enough to maintain a real relationship).

It kind of seems like he expects you to respond in exactly a certain way (determined in his own mind) each time and gets upset if you don't respond that way. But the big catch seems to be that he won't openly communicate to you what he's expecting, so you basically just have to guess - and are bound to 'get it wrong' more often than not.

The only suggestion that I would have to even try to fix this would be to have a heart-to-heart conversation about it with him in person. Given what you have written, however, it seems unlikely that he'd be willing to do that. And, of course, if he won't establish open and honest 2-way communication with you (at least in person), do you really want to continue to ride this emotional roller coaster?

Just my thoughts.