1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Songs you listened to before they became popular

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by FreeFlow9917, Aug 9, 2013.

1. Harve

omfg have u heard of this new band called mumford and sons guys?? with theyre song I Will Wait??? their sooooo underrated!!1!

2. timo

omg i love dat song it is there best one && they rly desserve to be more famous <3 do they have more stuff??? xxx

3. English Frenchman

This is the hipster thread.
    “Yeah, I totally used to listen [Insert obscure artist’s name here] before they got mainstream. They used to be so awesome, pioneering in [insert obscure music genre here] but then they went mass media on everyone. They totally suck now. Have you heard...?” Repeat cycle.

---------- Post added 12th Nov 2013 at 08:20 PM ----------

I totally used to listen to the Arctic Monkeys before they were cool. They used to be idols of Indie Rock. I got Alex Turner to sign my forehead. Then they released an album. That’s so mainstream of them. I don’t know if I can still like them. But because they’re uncool now, I like them again, because it makes me different.

4. Brightsky

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    on the other hand i was listening to said the whale years before they started getting more coverage.. but I'm not disappointed with that, I'm glad canadian artists are getting more coverage... go said the whale.. :wink:

5. GayNerd

I didn't see the video, but I heard my friends singing 'What Does the Fox Say?' a day or so after it came out.
    Enough said.

6. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Gangnam Style I listened to when it only had like 5 million views, and I listened to Call Maybe six months before it got super popular. That's about it, unless Bastille hits it big, then I'll have another band to add to it.

7. Harve

With them having a top 5 hit all over the world since, like, February, some would argue they're already really big.

Raining on everyone's parade.

8. Projectfabulous

Gangnam Style by Psy is my only claim. I saw it when it had less than 1 million views (I think like around a couple hundred thousand).

9. AAASAS

At your age you couldn't of. I listened to Daft Punk when I was a pre-teen and they were mainstream then too, they've been popular since the 90's.

The recent unbelievably crap single that came out I don't even consider Daft Punk , nothing like their original stuff.

This song I remember from my childhood really vividly especially the music video, it reminds me of being a little kid. They've been around a while. And were fairly popular when I was younger and in my teenage years.
    [youtube]mmi60Bd4jSs[/youtube]

The only artist that I have listened to that has blown up partially is Atmosphere. Listened to him way before his crap single "You" came out.

I like Gramatik and Bonobo before they got popular

and also listened to dub-step years before the genre became popular; now I don't like it that much.

People used to tell me dub-step was garbage, and now too many people like it, it just shows you how sheep-like we are in what we like.

Enjoying music requires exposure to it prior, but too many people go off what others enjoy before they decide what they truly enjoy.

Canadians will only understand this I listened to Metric and Bedouin Soundclash long before they got any radio play, though I like that they get radio play.

Same with the Arcade Fire, I was heavily into them before any of their hits received attention.

Doesn't really mean anything, I am just Canadian and was more likely to stumble across them.

If you listen to CBC radio you will hear a lot of bands that may become popular in the future, Arcade Fire used to be all over CBC radio.

#29 AAASAS, Nov 15, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
  10. MLE

MLE

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I listened to some Panic At the Disco in middle school before everyone else started realizing they were a thing. But it was literally only a week or so beforehand haha

11. Brightsky

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Broken Social Scene is also really amazing and they've been around for such a long time and never really got the fame they deserve.