1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Son in school

Discussion in 'For Parents and Family Members of LGBT People' started by Katyjane80, Feb 6, 2014.

1. neari

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Katyjane 80

Can I just say your son will be fine. Because he has a mom like you. I think your fab!

You are showing exactly they support he needs. I do think bullying is a part of life. Gay or not and kids can be really cruel.

Good on you!

Love from Neari in fair old Yorkshire x !

2. Katyjane80

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi Martin,

Thanks for your message it was really useful, I will defo look gyro up, my son has quite a few supportive friends in school, and outside school he is in a majorette troupe, although this is mostly girls there are about 5 males who are also gay and I think there seems to be an alliance of sorts... I have a gay friend who has been a real mentor to my son.

I have a younger son and there is a boy in his class (different school) who has been adopted by a same sex (male) couple and I gave become good friends with them, they also really supportive of my son, we all went to pride in the summer and we all got together to celebrate his 14 th birthday, so I have attempted to put support in place in a fashion, a chance to meet similar age boys might be a good idea but then again he's 'boy mad' at the moment so it could bring more trouble than it's worth ha ha .... But it's nice to know there's local support.....

Butterfly, I'm so sad to hear about your bullying in school, I hope things have calmed down for you now..... I suppose the only positive to come from it is you will be a stronger and more resilient person for it, I think it will make you a nicer human being xxxxxxx

---------- Post added 8th Feb 2014 at 01:26 AM ----------

Neari thanks for your lovely comments too, I know kids can be little gits, I probably was myself at one time but with my own I'm terrible, I can't stand to see them hurt!! I also know my son is secretly pleased that I fight his corner all the time and I think that's important to boost his confidence x

3. TheUglyBarnacle

I'm a high school student so I probably won't be much help but I really wanted to tell you how lucky your son is to have you as a mother. I wish there were more parents like you.

4. Emberblaze

Maaaaan, he is a lucky kid... Keep it up, ma'am. Just having other gay individuals in his life is a huge help. Things would probably be a lot easier for me if I didn't feel like the only gay guy that exists in the state of Georgia.

5. ZenMusic

Try to get straight to the point I'd say, don't ask them, tell them the bullying needs to stop. If your son is on Empty Closets I'd really like to speak to him, but keep letting him know that he is much better than whatever insults are slung at him, and that he should keep his head held high.

6. Katyjane80

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hiya, no he isn't on here but I can see you are a similar age so perhaps I'll direct him on here, he may enjoy it, x

7. King

I hope your lad is finding it easier at school, It is good to see the headmaster being very tough against homophobia. I think recent developments such as the Gay Marriage bill passed by the collation and numerous sports personalities announcing that they are gay in quick succession have had quite an impact. It certainly wasn't like that at schools a few years ago, but unfortunately discrimination still exists and I hope your school has a long term plan to deal with this.

It is really nice to see supportive parents chatting on here, it is particularly good to see that you go the extra mile such as gay pride and introducing him to your gay friend etc. Many people on this site have had difficulties with parents and many here would wish their mother was as supportive as yourself.

I hope everything works out.

#27 King, Feb 10, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  8. XTREMEZish

Hey, I recently came out at my school a few weeks ago and I'm a year younger then your son. I feel really bad for your son and maybe you should show him this website so he can know he is not alone. As for the school problem, I personally love getting revenge on people who have done me wrong and your sin should be proud to stand up for himself. Also to deal with the teasing some kids did call me gay as an insult. Are you kidding me. I would just reply with a simple "Yep" and they would immediately stop teasing me. Also he should try and just hang out with his friends. The close ones. The ones who support him. It is also good to have some straight guy friends. Just some help from a kid who is in school right now.

Have a nice day!

9. Katyjane80

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi everyone,

This is Katyjane's son speaking:smilewave I've read everyone's comments and it's nice to see so many people that are supportive of different sexualities. Right now in school some teachers are working on giving me 'support' and will speak to me ASAP, which is good but I don't really care what people say or think, it's just sometimes I have emotional break downs, suppose it's nice to have someone to talk to that won't judge me...I have close friends that I spend most of my time with, obviously there supportive too! Don't know what I'd do without them!:icon_bigg

The boys in my year aren't as bad as some others in lower years, Sam (student support worker) told me that younger boys are more ignorant and will give me more trouble than older boys, which I can understand. Usually the comments about me are just things like "gay" "queer" which, to be honest, doesn't bother me at all, I just say "thanks!":lol: I hope someday people will understand that being gay is normal and nothing to tease over(&&&)

10. Kenaria

You are a true inspiration to me! I've recently decided to start coming out to people in my school but have been very very insecure about what they might say. You're so brave to come out to everybody and you have such an amazing, supportive mother. Don't let anyone get to you, I know that it could be hard and people could get you down but they're just ignorant jerks. You've got so many people around you that love and support you, and so many people that look up to you(Including me(*hug*) )

Stay amazing, you've got it really really good to have such a supportive family:kiss: !

~Jess :slight_smile:
    A fellow LGBT

11. Mitchell

I don't know if this helps...

I ended up getting friendly with a teacher who is openly gay. She made a fuss when I told her about certain things being said, threatening sexual harassment. It stopped immediately.

Another time I talked to a teacher and openly told him that I'm gay, and turns out he was nothing but supportive... but told me that he would make it stop. He ended up telling the class that every teacher was supposed to talk to the class, saying that what you may think of as abnormal or different, or just like to joke about, can really hurt some students... more than you can think, and that the administration was starting to suspend students for it. That small lie made things stop.

I wasn't really out to everyone. I didn't really know anyone to tell, my teachers and case managers knew, but I didn't talk much to other students.

12. warholwendy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi Katy,

Judging by saying that other person is the same age as your son I think I might be able to offer some insight since I am in that same age group.

I don't really have to deal with the stuff your son does because I like girls as well as boys and since I haven't started transitioning (I am out though) I am seen as a rather straight individual in fact its well known that I have a crush on this girl in my grade.

But I do hear what they say and I agree it can be really harsh.

For example in the locker room where the boys commonly talk about how sexy they are (in a joking manner) this dude make a joke about how everyone wanted to see him and this other dude said he wouldn't because "he's not queer". I realize queer can have negative connotations but a lot of people adapt that label so I didn't try to stop him with using that but I said "You say that like it's a bad thing." and he said "it is."

Then he started asking if I was and shit but I brushed it off saying it doesn't matter.

They were talking about Michael Sam and they made jokes about how it must be bad in the locker rooms but eh

The point of this post is to say yes that it gets pretty bad but it must be even worse when you actually fit into the group the peeps are talking about

13. ice444

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Your son is lucky to have you in his life.

Some parents are less supportive/don't care so you are doing something right.

Keep fighting for your son!

14. Levi

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi there,

When I was in school. I was constantly insulted. Not a day went by, without being accosted by either a student or school staff. I was harassed and discriminated to the point of deep depression and suicidal ideation. This was back in the 90's, and it disheartens me it still goes on.

It got to the point, not only was I harassed at school, but when a kid seen me in public, they would shout discriminating, hurtful words.

Unfortunately, in the early to mid - 90's, parents' really didn't know how to deal with their sons / daughters being gay, and most of us still wasn't out. So, I had to suffer in silence for a longtime. When I did come out to my mother, she supported me 100%.

My advice would to be wholeheartedly support your son, which you do. Tell him once he's out of school and exposed to the real world, this kind of hate and discrimination isn't as permissible as in school. That can be hard to see for one that is attacked and bullied on an everyday basis. They seem to form the idea that school and the real world are the same thing, when it isn't!

I would keep a close eye on the situation.

I hope you and your son resolve the issue.

:slight_smile:

15. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think you first need to give the school an opportunity to voice it's opinion and justify its position.

Should you not be satisfied, you need to be firm. If they are complacent and are not looking like they are taking the issue seriously, I would say you need to advise them that if they do not get things sorted, you will be escalating the situation by speaking to the school governors, OFSTED and the local department for education.

That should help get the cogs turning.

Hope that, whatever you do, all goes well for you and your son.

:slight_smile: