Social Anxiety Sucks

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by KorrasamiIsBest, Feb 15, 2016.

1. KorrasamiIsBest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    It's been a while since I've been back at college, and work is different because even though I'm a cashier we usually keep to ourselves and do our own tasks, and I'm used to customers. But college is different. I started art school a couple weeks ago. I feel like every time I talk to someone I get on their nerves, even though they don't say anything. Even though this probably isn't the case, it's always been a big part of my social anxiety. Aside from that this art class isn't at all what I thought it would be and the commute is long and frustrating. Does anybody have any advice for someone with social anxiety? It seems like I'm not the only one here dealing with it. It's just gotten a lot worse over the years.

2. Jerad1234

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Totally hear you. Just keep being you. Tell yourself that you're being irrational, and people like you. Also, pay attention to if your social anxiety webs and flows or stays elevated. Mine would remain elevated until I started medication. Now, I can confront triggers because I'm not constantly keyed up. Best of luck to you!

3. Confusedmoose

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You definitely aren't the only one dealing with it. I remember on my first day of my masters I talked to a few people and thought the same thing, but we are now great friends and go out places together. The worst thing you can do is try and mind read. You can never know for sure what is going on in someone else's head. Also the more you have these social encounters the easier it gets. That sucks about the commute and that the course isn't all you thought it would be. Maybe the course will get better.

4. thepandaboss

Oh believe me, I know how that is. I've been putting off meeting with people for weeks because my anxiety flares up. So it's really kind of a self-fulling prophecy. Any chance you could see a therapist anytime soon?

5. Young Blood

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, like other people have said, you're definitely not the only one dealing with it. I've put off talking to people on the phone and trying to find a new job because of it :/ Maybe try deep breathing and telling yourself it's all in your head and it's not real. People like and love you. It's just your mind telling you that you don't. You can control it to a certain degree, but it does take a lot of time. One thing I will tell you is to try and stay away from medication. I had two different types of prescription drugs and I ended up with a small addiction to them. They are highly addictive so if you can stay away from them, do it. Try and find other ways to calm down. Like go for a walk or listen to music or do something you enjoy doing. Heck, even taking a shower works lol.
    There are soooo many of us that struggle with it but it doesn't have to take over your life. You can live with it and get through it. If you ever want to talk to someone, you can always drop a message on my wall and I'll definitely try to help the best I can.
    As for the commute, I've definitely been there too. I used to commute 4 hours a day for school. Usually listening to music or reading helps :slight_smile:
    Hope your course turns out better and good luck!

6. Scottmcdonn

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I can totally relate, the thought of meeting new people fills me with dread. At the moment, I can't even bring myself to admit that I am gay despite the fact I know I am and being in that place makes me feel so alone at times and meeting new people adds to that. The usual "oh god, what will I say, what if they don't like me, what if it's awkward, oh drama..." I let those thoughts cloud my head and so I end up staying at home with a movie or something. My job distracts me a lot and I use the excuse of being a workaholic to keep me out of certain social situations but that can't last forever. I've tried everything from jogging every day to exercise to almost forcing myself into something. I guess I am just hoping for that one person to bring me out of my shell. First I have to work things out myself but never underestimate the affect of a love interest in your life, you could be a more confident person without even realising :slight_smile:

7. KorrasamiIsBest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Just getting to this now but I really wanted to thank everyone for their replies and support, it made me feel a lot better. I hope we can all overcome our social anxiety.

#7 KorrasamiIsBest, Feb 18, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
  8. Confusedmoose

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hope we all can too :slight_smile: I'm sure we will.

9. Jerad1234

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Here is when I'd say..."introverts unite...individually," but as we know social anxiety is different than being an introvert. I do consider myself an introvert, but there is a huge difference between my introversion and my social anxiety.

10. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, I have some social anxiety as well. It's never really fun to deal with. One thing that has helped me is talking to a therapist about it. Many colleges have free or reduced cost therapy options, so that could be something to look into.

11. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Crippling social anxiety is something I've suffered with my entire life. I've even had panic attacks due to social anxiety before. Unfortunately I've never sought help for it, but I know that couldn't hurt.