1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So- let's talk mental disorders.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Cow, Jun 15, 2016.

1. Phaidra

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I have been diagnosed with Prior but non inteligent dr's that I have Depression, ptsd, anxiety, and schitzo affective... My latest but inteligent dr says i just have Depression and anxiety while i have had a rough abusive (both mental and physical abuse) past... i swear i might have ptsd but i dont know technically.... sometimes Things from my past bother me and sometimes they dont so i dont know... What i do know is the Germans dont want me working because of my stability so they put me on disability

2. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think I might have schizotypal personality disorder.

3. Florestan

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    For me, it's Asperger syndrome. I don't think about it much, since I've learned to manage most of the negative symptoms. I still get ridiculously nervous about writing emails or answering the phone, though.

I also have frequent episodes of anxiety and depression. They like to work together to make my life miserable. On my worst days all rationality gets thrown to the wind, and I get locked into a pattern of horrible thoughts.

4. YinYang

(Nothing's been diagnosed, they're in order from the ones I'm most certain about to the least.)

Dysthymia
    MDD
    Depression
    Some kind of anxiety disorder
    Panic Disorder
    PPD

5. silverdeer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I have depression and anxiety and maybe OCD.

It sucks but I try my best to get by...

6. Brytaleith

i have like, zero formal diagnoses of anything. But very likely autism spectrum disorder, depression and anxiety.

7. Izzy H

My disorders?
    List time...
    Ocd
    AhDd
    SAD
    DID
    Anti sociality (if that counts)
    Extreme social anxiety
    Anxiety
    Major depression (suicide attempts, self harm, ect)
    And idk if this counts but i fukkingnhear voices and it scares me.
    So that me.

8. Mahidevran

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    From things I got diagnosed with and treated for, I have generalized anxiety disorder, quite severe OCD, and bipolar disorder type I, with psychotic features. Also derealization-depersonalization syndrome.
    Do eating disorders count here? If so, I also have atypical bulimia. Don't ask me why.

#28 Mahidevran, Jun 16, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
  9. Fighter694

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I have a paranoid personality bordering on type A.
    I have hence had post traumatic OCD similar to PTSD. That's when I realized what pathological anxiety really felt like. My doc said I don't need any treatment as such.

10. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was diagnosed with moderate depression when I was 15 (had symptoms since I was about 10) but when I turned 16 and I started college I managed to overcome it and started to see life as something to embrace rather than a burden. Feeling absolute happiness with nothing weighing you down for the first time in years is incredible.

I believe in everyone here. Please try to see above your disorder, it doesn't have to rule over your life. You're worth so much more than the things weighing you down.

11. bookreader

Out Status:
    Some people
    Why do you think we have mental disorders? Is it genes or are they just random?

12. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It can be genetics or external factors.

13. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Like antisocial personality disorder or do you mean being asocial since they're separate things.

14. thepandaboss

There's definitely a genetic component to a lot of mental disorders. Anxiety runs in my family.

Lot of disorders are 'situational' too. While developing PTSD might have something of a genetic component (like someone might be more likely to develop it versus someone else even if they experience the same thing), it's usually based on a traumatic experience (or multiple experiences- this is CPTSD or complex post-traumatic stress disorder, which isn't super well known or well researched).

Check this out: What are the Causes of Mental Illness

15. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've heard some people claim that rates of mental disorders are higher among LGBT people. Is that actually true?

16. thepandaboss

Yup. It's due to what they call minority stress and you see it in other minority populations too. Here's a study.

17. AlamoCity

If you count alcoholism and drug addiction as mental illnesses, it would probably help tip the scales towards making mental illness disproportionate in the LGBT community.

And as others mentioned about minority stress, it may lead to situations where people who are more predisposed to certain mental illnesses have them "triggered" or exacerbated by the fact that they are LGBT.

18. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wasn't talking about anyone else or implying anything. My comment was only an expression of my, and my alone, overall mental state as well as a demonstration that not all LGBT people have to necessarily suffer from some kind of mental issue. I'm glad only LGBT+ people and allies are here as if some of the hateful people out their saw a thread like this, it would easily add fuel to the fire of their homophobia by implying that LGBT all have mental issues and would thus incorrectly draw a correlation and fallacious causation to that (hence why I'm proud to say I'm LGBT and have no mental issues).

That being said, to be offended by something said is a choice and if anyone was offended by what I said, then too bad. I make no apologies.

Happy days :slight_smile:

19. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm bipolar and have a mild case of social anxiety :slight_smile: :confused: :tears: :tantrum: :eusa_danc :lol:

20. AgenderMoose

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Depression and anxiety wombo combo is all I've got for sure with diagnosis. Not surprising that I have either of those, though. Runs in my family on both sides.

Well, first symptoms were my emotions...diving out of control, I suppose. That was around 8th grade. I got on birth control then to regulate them, which worked for a while, then I stopped taking it.

Depression symptoms reappeared again I think maybe sophomore year, but I kept it to myself for a long time. Then it started getting really bad. I really wanted to...well, yea. Hurt. A lot. I did find an alternative, though. I scribbled in sharpie on my arm. Sharpies have the slight point that gave me a sensation similar, plus, I could write and draw, which is one of the best outlets for my emotions. I finally approached my mom about it and she scheduled an appointment for me to see the doctor about it as soon as possible. Now, I'm medicated. And it helps.

Anxiety has kind of always been there with me, I just couldn't identify it. I thought that the feeling of my stomach tying in knots and the world slowly closing in on me was just fear. But once I started to realize how unwarranted it was, I was able to figure out that was an issue as well. Plus with me always struggling to talk to people and...yea. My medicine helps me with that, too. I still get intrusive obsessive thoughts, though. The sexual ones really gross me out. The violent ones I'm pretty well used to, but they show up a lot when I'm angry and give me a "itchy trigger finger" type sensation in those scenarios, y'know? When they show up when I'm not mad, then I just kinda...brush 'em off.

Well, that's my story and all I really know about.