1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So, I've got a problem with my hairstyle and my clothes.

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by LilGalaxie, Jun 9, 2019.

1. LilGalaxie

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It may be important so I'm just going to say it: I'm a cisgender female.

But I hate dresses, that means if you see me in a dress then something's happening and I was forced to wear it.

I also hate shorts for girls because they are very short. One day, when my mother gave me my brother's new shorts I was so happy, they were long enough for me and I felt comfortable in them!

I hate shoes like high heels etc. It just hurts and I don't see any point in wearing them… yeah, it makes you higher but it's not a good enough reason for me. They say that my legs look better in high heels but I don't see the difference?

There's also make-up and it's… okay, I guess? But it's not something I would wear every day.

My hairstyle makes me uncomfortable, I've got medium-length straight dark brown hair and I wish it was shorter…

You know, in May I had to search for a dress because of the middle school ball. But I ended up buying two one part suits, thanks to my godparent's wife.
    When I put on the suits I felt beautiful, something I don't feel often.

I remember the first time I put on a tie (I kinda stole it from one of my brother's closet) like it was yesterday. The feeling was amazing.

And I want to do something with my hairstyle - I hate looking at myself in the mirror. I asked my mother if I could go to a hairdresser, she said no. I begged her for a boyish haircut but the only thing she said was "Hah, pervert!". Like… I don't know wtf she was thinking when she said it.
    I can't go to a hairdresser alone because I don't have any money and she probably would be angry if I did that.

Recently, I read a conversation of my mother and my brother (my mother wanted me to find some important info) and I've read that I'm not girlish and I look more boyish. The way it was written made me feel like it's a problem.

Maybe if I get to the most "prestigious" high-school in my town she will allow me to have a short haircut? I don't know…
    Does anyone have a problem with me being boyish? I don't know that either.

Is there a way in which I can convince her soon?

2. SoulSearch

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I’m so sorry your mom isn’t able to be supportive of your choices on your appearance right now. That sounds hard. Do you think it would do any good to try and have a conversation with her about how clothing and style makes you feel? Is your brother someone you can talk to who might help ease the way? If it doesn’t feel safe to talk to your family you may just have to do the best you can with making comfortable clothing choices and live with the longer hair until you are free to make your own choices. Could you pull your hair into a pony tail or other style that feels better in the meantime?

Please know that the way you want to dress is ok. You are perfect, and just because others may not agree with your choices doesn’t make your expression wrong. In a few years you will be free to express yourself the way you want to. Do you have friends or teachers who support you? Are there any LGBTQ support groups at your school?

I’m so impressed with you knowing what you need and having beautiful self-awareness. I’m in my 40s and am just now coming out and figuring out how to live for myself and not worry about what others think. It’s not easy but you are heading in the right direction. Hang in there. You can get through this.

3. LilGalaxie

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, I've got four brothers. The youngest one is just… annoying. He would never help me. The second one is okay, I think. The third one is married and I wouldn't like to bother him. The oldest/smartest one… I think he would be okay with my appearance (I mean… he's got a LGBT filter on his profile pic on Facebook, sooo he's supportive?).

Now, since they (expect the youngest one) are adults and live in other countries, the only time I talk with them is when they visit Poland for a couple of weeks every two-three years and I feel some anxiety before even texting them.

Welp, there aren't any LGBTQ support groups. I've never heard of any Polish school which has groups like that.

I've got a friend who's also bisexual and she supports me… unfortunately, I may never meet her again after middle school finishes.

I feel like my German teacher would be supportive - she's the nicest woman I've ever known to be honest.
    But others… there are some teachers who were surprised I'm going to an IT class because I'm a girl so I don't expect them to be supportive.

Thank you for replying. Have a nice day!

4. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I really don't have any advice about clothing.

But hair shouldn't be a problem, because it grows back out. I usually have to get mine chopped three or four times a year. So look for pictures of hair styles that you like and show your mom that and say you want to try a new style. And point out it will grow back out if it gets cut a little too short.

5. LilGalaxie

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Okay, this will sound stupid, because it is. Now, she told me to fuck off and that I'll be able to do it when I get into a university because… there are also some fucked up people. I don't know if she remembers that her own son graduated when I was like… four?
    And when I asked her the second time she said that she had no time for this. Later the same day, she was at the hairdresser with my brother…