1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

so is cutting "modern?"

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by joeyconnick, Sep 16, 2007.

1. Vampyrecat

One thing I know for a fact, is that cutting and eating disorders are definitely NOT modern diseases. Anorexia, has actually been around at least 500 years. (tiny waists and corsets ringing a bell?)

I also think that our society is generally a lot more open about issues like this. I mean, 30 years ago, people weren't gay. They were Confirmed Bachelors or Confirmed Bachelorettes or something like that. It just wasn't talked about. I think the reason we're seeing more of this problem is because people are able to intervene and say "hey what're you doing to yourself?" or "I need help" so we notice it more.

The reason I used to cut is because I was severely depressed, and the only way I could cope was making my emotional pain physical. I didn't think it was real until I could see the blood and feel the blade on my skin. I don't know if that's how Morgan and Dan feel, but that's how it worked for me. Also, it used to help with anger and self hatred issues I had.

2. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

3. surfrboykai

they're modern diseases in that they're both more talked about and seem to affect more people now than it used to. also, corsets weren't a sign of anorexia, it was a fashion statement. they wouldn't starve themselves, they'd just wear something that changed their body shape.

4. SadConfusedBandGeek

True, I think the self-harm, like Morgan and Dan, who have real issues and real problems and are NOT doing this to be cool, has always been around and always will.

But, doing this for attention has also become very popular. And NOT EVERYONE who cuts does it for attention, just some people.

5. funa2z

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    smart people on this site