1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So... I'm doubting... again

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Kylian Es, Mar 7, 2020.

1. Kylian Es

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello, everyone! In first place, I want to apologize for my bad english (I'm Spanish!).

Well... Here we go.
    I am non-binary and AFAB. I think.
    I don't know if you all know, but in Spanish there are no pronouns they/them, so I started using he/him (él) pronouns, which... made me surprisingly comfortable.

Right now, within Spanish there is a tendency to include new pronouns (the equivalent of they/them, which... I don't like at all, like the feminine ones)

Yesterday, I was celebrating my best friend's birthday. My best friend's friends were using Instagram filters, and they wanted to try a male filter with me.
    I reluctantly agreed, and when they tried it... they said "there are no changes..." which made me surprisingly happy and comfortable???

And ... I've been experiencing a lot of dysphoria recently, which worries me.
    Also, a japanese voice actor (he was non-binary) came out as a trans boy and that made me wonder... if I'm not a non-binary person and instead I'm a trans boy too.

But I don't really consider myself a man, and I am really, really confused.
    I can't see myself as agender or genderfluid or 3rd gender...
    So... I'm very, VERY confused...

Squeeze likes this.
  2. Squeeze

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Oh my god I'm basically right there with you but from the other end, I thought I had an epiphany last night that I was genderfluid but it still doesn't sit well, and all of my attempts to be non-binary end up smacking very close to just wanting to cut the pretense and just be a girl.

I think this comes from the idea that non-binary people must be mostly androgynous when in reality many enbies I've met are whatever the hell they feel like being. For me, I've always had a lot of dysphoria regarding the masc stuff I've gotten used to doing, but I don't like identifying as a girl usually.

I've tried they/them as well and that just feels off to me, I put it on my profile here just as a placeholder really because if I'm honest, being referred to as she/her makes me feel really nice. But I still don't consider myself a woman just as much as you don't consider yourself a man, it seems. Actually for me, what's most fascinating is that I'm actually jealous of AFAB folk sometimes, because my whole thing is basically that I want to pass convincingly for fem without feeling like I have to censor myself much. Not to say you're 'squandering your gifts' or anything, nothing could be further from the truth, but it does feel odd to me that I can identify so much with AFAB people and yet really not want to be a girl.

At the end of the day what matters is how you feel, and if the labels we use can't encapsulate that appropriately, then that's hardly your fault.

Kylian Es likes this.