1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So I leave my hometown and move to Brisbane next week!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ChloeKiss, Sep 23, 2015.

1. ChloeKiss

ChloeKiss Guest

How I read your reply and that creepy crawlies bit didn't click is beyond me! Yes we do have lots of insects and things! Spiders are my worst nightmare! They scare the shit out of me! x

2. GArchi1992

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wahoooo! This is awesome. Good luck for the move! :grin:

3. ChloeKiss

ChloeKiss Guest

Thank You so much! ^_^

4. Counting Stars

I'm a Malaysian Chinese. Now living in Sydney
    Ah it all sounds so perfect and wonderful for you :eusa_clap! I also had high hopes of doing the things you wanna do before I moved to Sydney: join a club, meet lots of gay people, find an Aussie boyfriend, etc.. But then I realised I'm not even Aussie, which made things so much harder for me. This is the first time I've been in a place where LGBT people can live their free lives, and yet I'm still stuck in my closet just because I'm Asian. How sad.

Well, I HOPE YOU ENJOY YOUR NEW LIFE DOWN THERE! I'M SURE YOU WILL LIVE A FREE AND WILD LIFE!(!)(!)(!)

5. Lin1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know !! I was the worst arachnophobe when I first arrived in Australia and became super OTT about checking stuffs etc... with time though it awkwardly vanished and I am now the official exterminator of my house back home (mind you the spiders we have in France/Europe are smaller than a coin :lol: )

BUT you do NOT need to be Aussie to do all of those things, you need to be confident. Confident in who you are and what you have to offer to other people (personality-wise etc...). It's important, if you always undermine yourself by comparing yourself to others you really won't go far. Sydney is an amazing city who happen to be very gay-friendly which is an amazing opportunity for you. Nothing is preventing you from joining clubs, meeting gay people (Oxford street is the Mecca for gay guys in Sydney) and even finding yourself a boyfriend but yourself. Don't let your background or the fact that you aren't a local hold you back and have fun.

I am French and can't picture myself with a Frenchie at all, I much prefer foreigners as I absolutely love their accent, the different perspective on life they provide and so many little bonuses they can bring to a friendship/relationship thanks to their cultural background. You really have to embrace the fact that you aren't a local because if you were you wouldn't find Australia that exciting nor Aussies that exotic, they would just be your everyday life and let me tell you, that is boring.
    Get out of your shell and enjoy the opportunity that has been given to you. As I said you are the only one preventing yourself from doing all the things you really want to do which is shame. Sydney is pretty amazing when it comes to the LGBT, I have never felt so free to hold hands with another girl and kiss one than in Sydney and I would feel pretty sad if you didn't get to experience that with another guy due to your own anxieties.:icon_sad: (*hug*)

6. ChloeKiss

ChloeKiss Guest

Thank you! But I have to agree with Linning here! Don't underestimate yourself! Just because you're Asian doesn't mean you can't join those clubs. What do you fear? Experiencing racism in an LGBT group? Well if that happened what kind of hypocritical, ignorant idiots does that make them? Honestly. x

7. ChloeKiss

ChloeKiss Guest

:lol: yes I hear of foreigners being so paranoid they check their shoes every time they put them on or take them off. Aw well I wish Aussie spiders were that small! x

8. Lin1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Haha you'd have to leave the sunshine state for that maybe. :wink:
    Aussies like to scare people off though when they go abroad by telling foreigners about all their creepy crawlies when in reality, it isn't that bad. :slight_smile:

9. Counting Stars

Probably I have a fear of rejection and not fitting in.... :lol:

---------- Post added 26th Sep 2015 at 04:17 PM ----------

oh my god is this true?? I have a phobia for spiders too! I have heard some nasty ass shit regarding the "spider crawling into your homes" thing. Its still winter-spring so nothing's out yet. I'm really afraid of summer now and all the things that kill you haha.

10. ChloeKiss

ChloeKiss Guest

It is somewhat true! I mean I basically live out bush in a small town and we have gotten a couple of creepy crawlies come in from outside.. Nothing too dangerous though. I mainly see huntsmans around our house.. and they are the ones that freak me out the most. They are so fucking scary looking. :eek:

11. Lin1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hahaha hunstman were my worst ennemies, so freaking scary, thank god I saw probably one in my house in Sydney and the rest were big spiders like hand-size ones but they weren't hairy and were on islands so it was to be expected. Hairy spiders are what creeps me out as well as massive ones obviously but yep, I feel you for living in the bush !

#31 Lin1, Sep 26, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2015
  12. Counting Stars

I've never seen a spider bigger than my thumb.... So this will freak me out and I'll scream like a little girl! I thought Sydney's gonna be better because its a big city and spiders can't find anything to eat, isn't it?

13. ChloeKiss

ChloeKiss Guest

Aw haha! Yes omg hairy ones.. That's what I am scared of! They look like fucking gremlins turned insect. Absolutely demonic looking fuckers lmao.

Yes.. do feel bad for me.. for now :lol: I'll be gone soon! Btw.. Considering you are a foreigner, did you ever notice a difference between Australian accents in cities compared to the Outback type? Apparently there is a slight difference no?

14. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's so awesome. Hope it's all you hope for

15. Counting Stars

I did notice 2 types of accent though. One is much more Americanized, and the other is, dare I say, more "Australian", therefore less understandable for me. And the ones that sound more Australian come from smaller cities/ towns. Otherwise, I couldn't tell the difference at all.

16. ChloeKiss

ChloeKiss Guest

Thank You David! :slight_smile: x

17. ChloeKiss

ChloeKiss Guest

Awesome! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

18. Lin1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, I totally did, the few Aussies I met in Sydney had a pretty straight forward accent, rather smooth and easy to understand (maybe because I was used to it but I believe more because they were used to foreigners and having to communicate with them.)

People from the bush or smaller cities/town who don't necessarily see anyone but Aussies tend to have a much broader accent, which tend to be harder to understand and they also tend to use much more slang making it even more difficult for a foreigner to understand. I absolutely loved the Aussie accent though , mind you I love most accent, but the Aussie one was gold ! :icon_redf

A funny thing is that my best friend is Aussie , when we first met (we met abroad) we said something to each other and just stood there staring at each other, like WTF ? I could understand English but for some odd reason Australian english seemed to be a completely foreign language that I could not seem to decipher, so I stood there wondering what the heck she had just said while she did the same, unable to tell what the heck I had just asked her with my thick French accent, that was absolutely awkward and we parted ways thinking that we would never be friends. Obviously we totally became the best of friends and now are just used to each others accents and ways of chatting. :slight_smile:
    I recently met her parents while I was in Oz though, and heck I could not understand a word of what her father told me, so I resumed to guessing and nodding my head 'yes' as much as I could hoping it would fit whatever question he was asking me. :lol:
    Needless to say there is still a few Aussies I cannot understand but hey, I put on my best French accent tell them I don't speak English and most of the time, it does the job. :wink:

19. ChloeKiss

ChloeKiss Guest

:lol: That's awesome! How cute.. an Aussie and French best friend duo! Well.. I guess I can't understand Irish people for the most part. My uncles good friend is Irish and I do the exact same thing to him! I just nod my head :lol:

Anyway.. thanks for all your replies and the interesting chat!

20. Lin1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No worries, Irish are pretty hard to understand yeah so I feel you. :slight_smile:

It was nice talking to an Aussie again, enjoy your move to Brisbane, I am sure it will be fantastic, Good luck ! (!)

#40 Lin1, Sep 27, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2015