1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So confused...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Merc, Jun 24, 2006.

1. Merc

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Ok, my mom and I were both driving back home from some doctor's visit, and the car in front of us has a rather... interesting license plate. I forget the exact wording, but it made my mom come up with: "They're probably gay." Next instant, she takes it back, saying something similar to: "No, that was unfair of me. I shouldn't have said that."

I then go on to ask her about homosexuality. I asked her feelings on it in a not-so-subtle manner. She said that the Bible says that God meant for men and women to be together. Nothing about her own opinion. Of course, Why make it easy?

And now I'm wondering what her reaction would be if I told her I was a lesbian. My entire family (excluding my dad), is Christian, and I have thought about what would happen if I told them several times.

But I don't think I've ever been so confused! I know that my mom quoted the Bible in form of a response, but I don't know if that's her opinion, or she was just saying. What the heck did she mean by that...

Could someone just help me figure this out here, or at the very least tell me to stop worrying about it?

Thanks....

2. teents

i think in my own apinyon she belives in god verysrongly but dont like to hert peoples filling aswell....i would say i met some girl today she (start some random story about some girl) then end it by saying she was a lesbian and see what you mum replys back to you...hopfully she will saysome think about it back but dunt all ways work (for boys change it from girl to boy and lesbian to gay or what ever you get my drift)

3. TriBi

It is difficult to say without knowing your Mom...but it does sound as if she could possibly be conflicted between her beliefs and (maybe) her suspicions about your sexuality?

Or it could be that she just felt she was being mean in making a statement like that?

Probably the only way would be to look for an opportunity to 'obliquely' discuss homosexuality again and see if she gives you any better indication of her actual feelings.

4. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey Merc,

It really depends what kind of Christian your mum is and just on her personal feelings on the issue. I don't think a relatively knee-jerk reaction of "the Bible says 'men and women'" is that much of a good indication of how she feels either way. I mean, people fall back on what they know or have heard when they haven't given the issue much thought. Your mum might be super-accepting of your sexuality because let's face it, lots of Christians pick and choose when it comes to the Bible (which actually doesn't mention homosexuality very much at all, btw) or she might totally freak out about it because you're her daughter and she has all these preconceived notions of how your life is going to go and then use the supposedly anti-gay Bible to back that up.

I think it's probably somewhat more likely that certain types of Christians are going to have a harder time dealing with the revelation that their child is gay but I don't think it's ever guaranteed that they will. I think you should give your mum the benefit of the doubt and as someone else suggested, maybe try to bring up the topic again at some point. Happily, it is WAY more acceptable to bring it up as a "general topic" these days than it was even 10 years ago.

5. daggerz

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Well I'm not really sure how you should go about, I've not even considered coming out to anyone nevermind my parents.
    But I'd say just be 'cautious' in the way you do it. Eventhough christianity is against homosexuality completely it doesn't mean your mothers views are that one directioned. Purhaps you should try to bring it up in conversation again. If she asks you why tell that some of your friends were talking about views on gay/straight/lesbian/bisexual.

6. Merc

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    What joy, what fun.... I just saw 'Dead Man's Chest' at AMC 14. And there was a trailer for 'John Tucker Must Die'. And there's a scene with two girls who look like they're about to kiss. In fact, it would seem that they do kiss. Later, on our way home, I not-so-subtley bring it up. I mention that it looks a bit stupid, but funny, though slightly inappropriately so (some of the jokes seemed a bit perverted... I don't know...). My mother agreed, and she said: "Yeah. And April's mom said that it looked like there was a scene with two girls actually kissing."

May I just say: Hallelujah for sunglasses. The expression on her face while she said that wasn't too happyful, and I felt like glaring at her. Like I said, hallelujah for sunglasses- I think I did glare at her.

So, wonderful.

7. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I totally want to see John Tucker Must Die! Probably for different reasons from you, though. *grin*

8. finding_out

finding_out Guest

Oh gosh, I totallt love your sig! *yu-yu-hakasho fan forever*

...anyway, yeah, it's hard to tell withwout knowinng your mom as a person. Does she seem like the kind of preson that accepts gay rights and all that? Although if the whole political thing isn't her cup o' tea either that might not be a good judge...

~It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye, then its PING PONG!

9. Sleepless

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I guess alot of us are 'so confused.':icon_bigg

10. Will1975

Will1975 Guest

As I started reading this thread.. I thought that your mother sounded like a an understanding and caring person.. So the comment on the movie was a shock when I got to it.. Is your mother generally a caring and understanding person... I think perhaps the reaction to a Movie may differ from a reaction to you... Maybe making it more personal would give you a better gauge of her reaction... I liked the idea about telling her about a person you met at school and then mentioning that they may be gay or lesbian... Then you are talking about real vs. fiction...

That's my 2 Cents...