1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Smoking?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Trent13, Oct 18, 2008.

1. Urman

Urman Guest

Don't pick up a smoking habit its really not good for you and your body.It makes it alot harder for your responsibly system to work with it having to work harder to take in oxygen.

2. George1

George1 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Also another thing that should be mentioned - sure you may not become "addicted" after your first smoke, but the more you smoke the more reliant you become on it, and eventually it'll be really hard for you to break the habit if you decide to. Also if you do smoke for a while and then quit, you'll run the risk of gaining a lot of weight.

Also, smoking and drinking under the age of 18 has even more severe side effects than someone who is older. Your body isn't fully developed yet, do you want to ruin it already?

3. Siateac34

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I smoke a lot. I'm not gonna tell you not to, it really just takes the edge off when I'm going through hard times and it's kindof like a warped snack after supper. But it's not really good for you and if you're gonna start, don't do it because of your friends.

Lucas.

4. I don't smoke personally, I'm a bit allergic to it. But I have nothing against those who do. It's up to you whether or not you want to.

5. SpacerX

i smoke a lot, have so done for the last four and a half years. i've always felt guilty because of the health risks, but at the same time i just really enjoy smoking.

recently the government here increased the price of cigarettes again.. to €8.05

I was in Florida during the summer and a pack cost $2.99. I know money shouldn't be the only reason to stop smoking but it's a bit ridiculous at this stage.

6. Skeleton

Just to put it into perspective.
    If you start smoking now (aged 13).

Price of Cigarettes in AUS (all values in AUS$ and an average) = $13

So thats $13 per day, or

$4745 per year.

IF you live to be 75 (your a potential smoker don't forget), Thats

$294,190

In your life.

Surely a holiday is more fun??

Just for the record, I smoke and I wish I never started because there isn't a method I've tried that has helped me stop, and I've tried many ways.

7. N3p7uN3

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Smoking tobacco has absolutely no benefit whatsoever. It doesn't make you feel good, all it does is put you at risk for cancer. If your friends pressure you into doing it when you when you really don't they aren't your friends.

8. Techcompu2

Don't start! one of my friends, my aunt, my uncle, and one of my cousins smoke. I am still close to the members of my family that smoke, but I think that it is a horrible habit. It makes you smell bad, all of your things smell bad, and no matter what others say it is in no way cool. If your parents would not approve there is no way you can hide it from them forever. Because you have only recently started, it might me a little bit easier to quit now than to do so in a few years time.

9. Myke

Myke Guest

I don't smoke and i'm glad i never started. There are way cooler ways to die :wink:

10. iPieman

As a smoker who started at the age of 13 I would strongly discourage anyone, no matter how old to start.
    Because your friends do it is the worst reason to as well.

It's a highly addictive habit that doesn't make you look cool or sophisticated and certainly wont make you any more popular.

There's also all the health risks that have been mentioned above, too.

11. George1

George1 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Surely wouldn't buying a house with that money be more worthwhile? In Melbourne you can get a nice FAMILY starter home for $300k. And seeing as interest rates and whatnot are falling here the price will go down a lot. :eusa_clap

12. XXX Lou XXX

I can't add much to what people have already said here, but please DO NOT START!!! You will regret it some point in your life. Of course, no one here can tell you what to do, it's your life, but I regret ever starting. I've been smoking for over 2 years and am still struggling to give up. If your friends are encouraging you to start don't listen. Be strong and say no! :slight_smile: Smoking isn't cool, it doesn't make you look more grown up or popular, it just looks and smells unpleasent. It's a disgusting and dangerous habit. I know i'm pointing out the obvious but surely that's a good enough reason not to start? If not, how about this:
    [​IMG]
    Do you really want to end up looking like that? You've got your whole life ahead of you. What's the point of cutting it short with the risks of lung cancer, heart attacks, high blood pressure, gum disease, ahsma and much more?

13. Loveless

Loveless Guest

^ ew lol XD

14. Pyro

I have seen a few posts of cigarette packs costing 8€!! I thought that here (3€) was expensive

On - topic: You should consider that you are young and starting smoking at that age will affect your growth, and your development, If you start smoking now, in a few months you won't be able to keep up in gym class, and one of the reasons I some is to clear my head, well crappy reason. If didn't smoke I would clear my head with another thing.

So, don't smoke, and IF you want to do it for any reason, wait until you are a bit older, I started at 16 (2 years ago) and If I haven't started my doctor says that today I would be 6.3 feet tall instead of just 6..

15. keith2

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Its too obvious...don't start smoking. I used to smoke. I loved smoking but its not worth the side affects. Plus you'll eventllu want to quit and it is very difficult to quit. Even after you quit you'll be tempted to smoke again during those " special occasions" like drinking with friends or if you hook-up with a guy who smokes.

Certainly your choice...I I strongly don't recommend it.

16. ColbieMarie

ColbieMarie Guest

I have a friend who started smoking only when he was drunk, then he would smoke on his work breaks because a co worker smoked. Then it was when he was stressed, and then it was all the time. His girlfriend pressured him to quit. He did, but now he chews tobacco, which is an even more disgusting habit. (Watching him spit into a water bottle makes me want to vomit).

A smoking alternative to cigarettes (that still is for 18 and up) hookah, I've smoked hookah and it's slightly relaxing and not addictive. I've heard that it's worse (health wise) than cigarettes and that it's better (health wise) than cigarettes, so I'm not sure on that issue.

I vote you wait till you're older. I've taken a smoke (is that even the right term?) from my friends' cigarettes a couple times, but each time I was over 18 and I've decided that smoking isn't for me. Just don't.

And it's wayyy smelly.

17. lordjord96

1 word : NO i did it and my lungs are in bad health so and people do it around me (second hand smoking ) makes it worse so dont do it

18. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Smoking is the biggest... turnoff... EVER.

Plus all the stuff about expensive and health.

19. RonApple

RonApple Guest

Bleh!.. Say NO to smoking!
    You spend too much money on the smoking and then too much money trying to stop as well, so its cheaper to just not start :grin:

20. Dark Secret

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    DON'T GIVE IN TO PEER PRESSURE!

You're 13 years old with your whole life ahead of you.

There are many adverse side effects to smoking:

it dulls your brain;
    it can cause erectile dysfunction;
    it can lower your sperm count;
    it can lead to bad circulation;
    it can lead to heart disease;
    it can lead to lung cancer;
    it can lead to mouth cancer;
    it can lead to throat cancer;
    it can prematurely age your skin;
    it makes your clothes and breath smell like a stale ashtray;
    it can make you an outcast;
    it can make you skint.

As a smoker myself, I can tell you that it's very addictive and there is absolutely no pleasure in it.

So please reconsider.