1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I text it?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Silver Snow, Sep 17, 2018.

1. Silver Snow

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I am an absolute coward. I can’t come out to my parents. I’m 21, working and about to start my second job. Independent. And yet, I still feel the need to be what my parents want me to be. I’m never not seeking their approval. Particularly my step-mother’s. But I want to come out so bad. I know how she will respond because she always makes her opinions on the lgbt community clear, and my little sister is bi and came out about 2 years ago, so I know exactly what to expect. But I just want it over with.

I was thinking, I’m going on a three day trip starting tonight. What if I text them once I’m on the road and tell them? Then I wouldn’t have to face hem until 3 days later.... Good or bad idea?

Rade and Love4Ever like this.
  2. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I actually think it's a great idea. I'm 21 also but I still live at home and I sent the text to my mom while she was gone for a few hours that day. I definitely don't regret it at all. She actually already knew and is fine with it. It relieved the pressure of telling her face to face but it also made me feel good about telling her the truth. So I say go for it!

Rade and Silver Snow like this.
  3. Chierro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I’m also 21 and also came out to my family over text. It was at night so I didn’t responses until the following morning which was slightly stressful. I live at school so I don’t see my family normally. I realized in retrospect that I would be seeing them three days later. However, they took it well and it was the easiest way for me to do it. I don’t normallt talk about my personal life with my family.

So...I approve!

Silver Snow likes this.
  4. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think it's funny we're all the same age and all coming/came out. :slight_smile:

Silver Snow likes this.
  5. Silver Snow

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks everyone for your advice. I’ll definitely try coming out over text.... but not this time. Because my mom is so mad at my other sister right now. Yikes. I know there is no such thing as a “good time” but this is certainly a bad time. Next time one of us will be out for awhile I’ll send it.

Love4Ever likes this.
  6. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yikes indeed. I am sorry. I know how hard it can be to wait. You should do it when you're ready.

7. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My dad is one of the few people I've sat down with and had a serious coming out with, mainly because he hates technology so he doesn't text lol.

I've come out to quite a few people by text. Honestly, whatever gets you feeling free is all that matters. There's nothing wrong with coming out by text, although I will say it feels more satisfying getting a good reply to your face rather than a nice text back.

Love4Ever likes this.
  8. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey there. Just wanted to check in. Did you have an opportunity to tell them?

9. Silver Snow

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Sorry about the delay. No. My older sister has been nothing but wild lately. My Grandfather had a heart attack. And my old friend from when I was 12-14 has been flirting with me and his older sister told my entire family that he’s never stopped liking me since we met. So, now I feel stuck. Like I can never say it. :frowning2: I don’t know what to do anymore. It’s just killing me. I feel so ready to just tell my mom, sometimes I get so close, but I lose my nerve.

Love4Ever likes this.
  10. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm sorry. :frowning2: Please don't let the pressure of your family make you feel you have to be or do something you don't want to do or be. And you aren't responsible for your sister or anything else beyond your control. So many people hide out of love to spare loved ones feelings or to not be a burden but that's not healthy in the long run .You need to put yourself first.

Silver Snow likes this.
  11. Contented

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it is wonderful that so many younger people are not afraid to come out as gay. You are saving yourself years of pain and doubt pretending your straight. Your are all so impressive, the LGBTQ movement is in good hands with honest young people like yourselves.

Rade and Love4Ever like this.
  12. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I am too! I will never ceased to be amazed by the people on here and everyone in the community.

Silver Snow likes this.
  13. Rade

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Seems good to me, I didn't text it to parents, but did to others and I made it obvious on my Facebook. I told my mum by phone the day before my two week hols in Cyprus lol ...