1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I tell my "ex" I'm gay?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Maddog2017, Apr 16, 2019.

1. Maddog2017

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've been talking to my "ex" from middle school for a couple of weeks now, just on a friendly basis. We dated in middle school and did not have a serious relationship, which we both acknowledge, and neither of us really count it as a real relationship. However, I'm still nervous that he will be upset or take it as some sort of commentary on him if I tell him that I'm gay, or that it'll hurt his feelings. We used to have a really close friendship, and haven't had a good relationship now for about 5 years, and I don't want to do anything that'll hurt him. Ordinarily stuff like that doesn't just come up in conversation, but he keeps saying stuff that has a bit more of a sexual tone, and while he isn't being pushy, I almost feel like I should tell him in order to put us both out of our misery.

2. sublimeprincess

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You know, you can tell him if you want to, but it's not necessary. You can just as easily say, "Hey, although flattering that you're saying that, I'm not into it and would prefer if you stopped." If he continues, you can say, "I told you that I'd prefer for you to not talk like this with me. Please respect that." If he continues, then he's not respecting you or your boundary, and it's up to you if you don't mind others disrespecting you or not. It shouldn't get to that point though. If you guys are friends, then I'm sure the least intrusive prompt would work. And again, as far as the coming out goes, you never need to come out to anyone; it's always your choice to honor the person with that info :slight_smile:

<3

Hamiltan, Waffless and Emmareld like this.
  3. Jaimequestions

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I dont think it is necessary to tell him. If he is saying things that are uncomfortable you can ignore them as if they were never said, hopefully he will get the point that you are not comfortable with it. If he starts to ask you out or something like that, then you can tell him that you are gay.

Emmareld likes this.
  4. Emmareld

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I feel like him knowing or not knowing is entirely up to you. It's not really necessary for him to know in regards to the sexual tones of the things he says, you can just politely decline and express to him that you are uncomfortable a bit when he talks that way. If he doesn't respect that then he wasn't a good friend to begin with.

Waffless, smurf and sublimeprincess like this.
  5. smurf

Can't say it better than the comment above. Set your boundaries!

This is something that you can look into by the way. Don't put your feelings in the background just to protect someone else. Its very unhealthy to do. Its okay for your needs to come first :slight_smile:

If he takes offense to you being gay and he thinks its because he made you gay then 1) its his problem not your 2) its not your responsibility to educate him.

I did have an ex girlfriend rudely ask me if she was the reason why I turned out gay. She was so pompous about it all that I simply say "yeah, you were". She didn't see it coming so she just said "oh. Okay" and walked away. She knew deep down she wasn't the reason, but for some reason she wanted to be the main character of my personal story. Like I change my whole life, decided to risk losing it all, jut because this one person....did something bad enough tot turn me gay? Its crazy that some people think they have that much power. She also wanted me to convince her that she was a good person and she had nothing to worry about... why was that my job all of the sudden?

A small rant to say, its going to be okay :slight_smile:

sublimeprincess likes this.