1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I tell her I am gay

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by claireh, Oct 23, 2019.

1. claireh

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Since my coming out to my husband I’ve been up and down with emotions. My crush on my colleague is stronger than ever. And now the good thing- I am going for a walk with her tomorrow, there was another girl to join us but she dropped out, so I am happy that I can spend a little bit of time with my lovely.But now I keep thinking-shall I tell her that I’ve come out to my husband and that I am gay? (I don’t intend to tell her that I like her, although I want to but it’s too soon). And ask her for advice maybe? or would she distance herself from me-not that we are close now anyway. I will be away for a week so if I tell her now then I won’t see her for a bit. I don’t know what to do...

2. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it depends on what you’re hoping to get out of the conversation. Consider what you’re really hoping for and don’t go in with unrealistic expectations.

If you genuinely what input from a friend and somebody to talk to, then I don’t see why not. Would you normally discuss relationship issues with each other? Are you close? If so, she probably won’t see anything unusual in you opening up to her.

We can’t really predict how she’ll react. You know her. Do you feel she’ll be supportive?

Also, was she part of you working your sexuality out? If so, perhaps have an answer prepared if you don’t want to go into it yet.

#2 LostInDaydreams, Oct 23, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
    Nic2552 and claireh like this.
  3. claireh

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I
    I think she might be supportive as she is gay too, so at least she knows. And she is also my colleague but also a manager, so would she distance herself from after that, nobody knows I guess. She doesn’t tell me everything in details about her life but she told me when her relationship broke and I was one of the first people at work she told.
    And yes she was part of me working out my sexuality but she doesn’t know that, or not yet :slight_smile:z

4. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I dont see anything wrong with telling her, as @LostInDaydreams says as long as you are clear about why you are doing it and what you want to get out of it. She is gay so would most likely be understanding to your situation. Of course nobody can guarantee how someone will react but I see no reason to believe she will distance herself.

claireh likes this.