1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I shave?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by TheAshford, Jul 6, 2015.

1. TheAshford

I've been having this problem recently: body hair. And I hate all of it.

Pubic hair, leg hair, arm hair, facial hair, all that. I hate it all. Since I was younger, around 8, I guess that I've been growing arm and leg hair. And that's it. But now that I'm 14, things have changed. :icon_redf

I'm growing armpit hair. Facial hair. Even more arm and leg hair. Pubic hair. Even some hair on my toes and fingers. I want to shave it, maybe even get laser. But the problem is, my brother thinks if I shave, it's a gay thing. And I haven't come out to any of my family members yet.

I want to shave all of my arm hair, leg hair, etc. but I feel like my parents would definitely disapprove. It's been making me feel more and more self-conscious and anxious about physical appearance. Do straight guys normally like body hair? Because I never really see straight people shave their hair.

The only hair I'm willing to ever keep is facial hair (and you know, my head hair. Everything else: I want it gone. What should I do? Should I wait until I move out, so no one can tell me what to do? Or should I shave and just try to accept what my friends and family say? :help:

I've just always wanted smooth skin, with no hair on it. It just grosses me out. Especially when people have bushes under their arms. Blech. :rolle:

I've started trimming (not shaving) a few weeks ago. But I only trim certain places where people don't normally care: toes, fingers, upper arms (where a t-shirt sleeve will cover it), penis hair, hair on my butt, and facial hair. I don't even have a razor. I just use a trimmer that my mom bought in a hair kit a few years back that no one really uses. :icon_redf

What should I do? I long to have completely shaven arms and legs and such, but I'm definitely not prepared for the backlash of my family and friends. :icon_sad:

Thanks in advance! :kiss:

2. Gen

Gen

There is no one that has a right to answer that question for you. People can only project their personal preferences onto you.

If you feel as though you will be ostracized for shaving while at home, then I would recommend trimming the hair because most people do not consistently take note of the length or lightness of your hair. When you move out, you won't be forced to entertain their criticism.

3. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do you want to? All other influences are relatively unimportant. :wink:

4. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! Have you ever thought about accepting your body just the way it is, and be confident about how you look?

At the end of the day you can shave it all off, and you are going to be happy for a few days until it is all there again. Then, you will be going through the same cycle again. While doing so, you are losing out on building a necessary ingredient that allows you to grow in your skin, and the resulting image you project: confidence.

One of the greatest attractors is not body hair or not having body hair, rather it is confidence and being able to stand on your two feet and being okay with it. :slight_smile:

5. DAXIII

Actually it's all appearance. Well maybe around 70-80% of it is. Confidence doesn't win you anything unless you have something to work with.

6. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ... once you start accepting your appearance, and say to yourself this is who you are, with no perquisites, then you have a base on which you can start building your confidence. :slight_smile:

7. DAXIII

By base I mean looks. It doesn't matter how much confidence you have if you look like a troll. This isn't a fairy tale where believing in yourself will solve the problem, there are plenty of physical barriers that no amount of belief will solve. I should know.

8. CraikNakes

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I believe that it is really important to have confidence in what you look like and not only that but being able to accept how you look and embrace it! if people say dumb or meanie things just brush it off because you'll know that you're unique and beautiful just the way you are.
    Ive wanted to shave off all my hair too but haven't had the means (I'm still living with my parents) and thsince I've Been around 15 I've wanted to get rid of it. just ignore it until you can shave it all off it really isn't so bad. I find that if I was in a relationship id be much more determined to shave but since I'm not, who cares?
    Honestly though if you have confidence in your look whether it be hairy or hairless you won't care what people think! don't worry about other peoples opinions just work on forming a positive opinion of your own because after all that's all that matters (*hug*)

9. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First of all, I think your brother needs to step into the real world because loads of straight guys shave themselves of body hair. They may not shave everywhere, but it's very common for straight guys to shave their chests, armpits, shoulders and backs and some prefer to shave off pubic hair too. Perhaps less common to shave arms and legs, but trimming is widely practiced.

There is a lot to be said for accepting your body the way it is and it will certainly not affect your ability to find dates and love. For every person who dislikes body hair there are just as many who love it. If it is really affecting your confidence and self esteem though, shaving is okay, but Mirko is spot on in saying that it will return very quickly.