1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I cut contracts with my family?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Gabriele, Nov 21, 2022.

1. Gabriele

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I need an advice. My parents think trans are people with mental issues/traumatic experiences. I don't think they would accept my being trans. I'd better cut the contacts after going to university and getting a job? I just don't know what to do

2. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This one is tough to answer, I know people who have completely cut ties with family and are happier than they ever have been. And I know two who are pretty miserable about it. I have seen some people have some very different reactions to things than I had figured they would, be it good or bad.

So I would suggest just kind of not fully cutting contact, but maybe slowly lessen it. They might not accept you, or maybe presented with someone much closer to them they may change their minds. School and jobs naturally cut into the time most people would spend talking to family or friends so you have a readily available excuse if they get too upset about it.

BocciBee and Gabriele like this.