1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I come out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by JohnConnor, Jul 30, 2017.

?

Should I tell my family and friends about my sexuality?

1. Yes

5 vote(s)
    71.4%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. Depends who

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. JohnConnor

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have not told many people about my sexuality. This is mainly because I find it hard to define. I associate myself with the words 'bisexual', 'pansexual', 'genderblind'. I am more fussy with men, more likely to seek romance with women, have sexual fantasies involving transgender people.. blah blah spectrum, somewhere on a rainbow etc etc.

Recently I have been telling new female partners that I was bisexual (had never heard of the term pansexual at the time) and I found this exhilarating as it was well received every time. I especially enjoyed discussing attractive famous people with a bisexual woman. I really liked having no limits within this discussion and the openness.

I do not think I will ever tell my family. This is not because I am worried what they will think. I am sure they would accept and embrace it I just do not feel the need to change the dynamic of the relationships I have with them. Certain friends would probably not understand at all. I think I am fine with leading a double life but is this healthy?

2. spaghetti0

spaghetti0 Guest

As a fellow mostly closeted bi person, I know exactly what that's like. I plan to tell my family at some point, I just don't really know when or how yet. I think that you should come out to them if it feels right. But, if you feel fine with not letting them know, then you should do that.

3. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Coming out is entirely up to you, I'm not saying you shouldn't but you should only do it for yourself.

4. JohnConnor

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Maybe one day. Just doesn't feel necessary at this point.

5. JohnConnor

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Fully understanding it myself is fairly new.