1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I be worried?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by PlutoTheOpposum, Apr 9, 2023.

1. PlutoTheOpposum

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Heyyy. Ehm, okay soo, I think I should bring this up. I've been getting really dizzy/lightheaded lately. That's not an issue in and of itself, but it's EVERY. DAY. It got so bad at one point that I collapsed. Everyone thought I was just being silly but I couldn't really breathe and my head was pounding. I didn't want to seem dramatic though, so I just stayed on the floor. That only happened because I was laughing, I guess.
    Another time when something similar happened was in band class. I haven't had issues with it up to this point (about a month or so ago, I've been in band since early September) but I think I almost passed out. I was playing my trumpet when all of a sudden my vision started going black. I couldn't really play anymore. I brushed it off as too high of a note.
    The thing is though, my chest has felt really tight for awhile. I don't have a binder or anything, so it's not that. But it's like, whenever I go to take a deep breath, I just can't get enough air. My chest feels almost heavy, I guess? It's hard to explain. And then my heart-rate feels like it triples everytime I do certain things, like laugh, yawn, or stretch. That might just be normal though.
    It just reminds me of when I was in the hospital, and everytime I stood up my heart-rate would jump from 50 to 120. I hadn't had issues since then, but then that same feeling came back.
    I dunno. If anybody knows something it might be, please tell me! I've had a hard time describing this, and I don't see my doctor often, so maybe it'll be easier to make an appointment if I know what it MIGHT be...!!!

2. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Pluto.....Retired band director here...playing trumpet can cause "blackouts", but normally only when you are playing high, sustained notes. Beginners can also occasionally have that problem when they first start. If this is just a one-off then I wouldn't worry too much, however, if it happens more than once, then seeing a doctor for a checkup would be a good idea. Brass instruments create "back pressure" when you play them due to the very small hole in the mouthpiece that the air goes through when playing. Only the French Horn has a smaller hole in the mouth piece than the trumpet does and music for the FH isn't usually written to require the high, sustained notes that can cause these blackouts. So if it is recurring, definitely see a doctor! :old_smile:
    .....David :gay_pride_flag:

Wanderlost likes this.
  3. PlutoTheOpposum

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi, thank you for replying! Firstly I'd like to say that it's so cool you were a band director! It sounds like a very tiring (but also fun?) job! Also this has happened like 3 times, and I wasn't really playing too high of a note on any of them. I can't remember exactly what note it was, but it was nothing I hadn't played before. I'm of course aware that brass instruments like trumpets and baritones use a LOT of air...so I guess I can't be too surprised haha. I suppose what I'm more concerned about is the lightheadedness OUTSIDE of band :/ Still, I figure that was a good thing to bring up, especially since I had a similar instance of me almost blacking out when I wasn't even in school, haha.
    Again, thank you for the info! I'll try to get my parents to schedule a doctors appointment for me :grin:

4. Wanderlost

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Probably the best thing. You might have some form of Asthma, but I'm not an expert. I did pass out once from blowing too hard in a stupid game. I thankfully woke up in the arms of a nurse, haha. I guess my body even spasmed from when the oxygen returned to my lungs. It happened in front of a big crowd too, which was really embarrassing. I had a friend who hyperventilated two different times from having laughing attacks before and scared us to death. I was afraid to tell jokes in front of her after that. I hope you get it sorted out, it doesn't sound to healthy.

5. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Pluto.....Yes, have it checked out. It's not so much the amount of air but the air pressure that can get you in trouble. When I was in University Jazz Ensemble we had a trumpeter who would play the really high notes at the end of charts ( i.e. songs-jazz speak :old_cool:) He always stood in the middle so that the guy on each side of him could hold on to him when he passed out...which he did pretty often! :old_big_grin: Anyway, do have it checked out especially since it's also happening outside of band.
    .....David :gay_pride_flag:

6. Wanderlost

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    omg that's pretty funny! the poor guy! haha

7. 74andHome

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The thing is though, my chest has felt really tight for awhile. I don't have a binder or anything, so it's not that. But it's like, whenever I go to take a deep breath, I just can't get enough air. My chest feels almost heavy, I guess? It's hard to explain. And then my heart-rate feels like it triples everytime I do certain things, like laugh, yawn, or stretch. That might just be normal though.
    It just reminds me of when I was in the hospital, and everytime I stood up my heart-rate would jump from 50 to 120. I hadn't had issues since then, but then that same feeling came back.
    I dunno. If anybody knows something it might be, please tell me! I've had a hard time describing this, and I don't see my doctor often, so maybe it'll be easier to make an appointment if I know what it MIGHT be...!!!

With these symptoms the only answer is to see a cardiologist soon….

8. TinyWerewolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Definitely see a doctor! Three things come to mind with this: panic attacks, asthma, or maybe a heart problem. It screams untreated asthma to me most with the "whenever I go to take a deep breath, I just can't get enough air." Could be your heart sped up to attempt to pump more oxygen into your blood maybe? Not sure on that, not a doctor so I'm working with very limited information in my brain here.

I kind of have asthma, the nurse that checked on my soccer team back in high school all the time told me I have exercise induced asthma. The first thing that went through my head was 'exercise induced asthma? Is that why I can't breathe when running? I thought that was my anxiety for having to run a second mile because I'm at an eight minute time...' I still dislike running, and can never catch my breath when playing tag with my sister's kids- probably because I don't use an inhaler and am now very out of shape. (Side note, I'm a singer so I'm very aware of my breathing.)

74andHome likes this.