1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should 'hate/free' speech be allowed?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Multiverse, Jun 16, 2016.

?

"Hate" speech should be...?

1. Allowed

41 vote(s)
    54.7%
  2. Banned

22 vote(s)
    29.3%
  3. I don't know

12 vote(s)
    16.0%
  1. iiimee

^ What A Mindful Wolf said.

I think that "hate speech" is sort of a stupid term, because there's a lot of hateful things you can and SHOULD be allowed to say. However, blatant threats shouldn't be allowed, but of course those are already against the law, so who cares? I can't believe some people would vote in favor of banning hate speech to the point that they're okay with banning free speech too. Seriously, your feelings about what somebody says to you. do. not. matter! Unless they're threatening you, you have two options: yell back, or do what you were taught to do in primary/elementary and walk away.

2. radicalmuffins

Out Status:
    A few people
    Well clearly I won't want to argue on this subject anymore as I think we have completely different views on how hate speech should be dealt with. Despite the existing ban on hate speech in the UK, I don't feel hampered when I want to express my opinions. I can say whatever I want as long as I am mindful that I am not intentionally trying to hurt anyone using hateful words.

3. KnucklesNation

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think if people have the right to slander my race or sexuality just for the sake of doing so without legal consequences befalling them, I should have the right to hit them in their face without legal consequences coming my way. But that's just me.

4. derVaminoi

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    There's a big difference between violence and words though.

5. AngelLikesSpace

Out Status:
    Some people
    How would we "punish and censor" people in the first place? It seems pretty impossible to do so, especially because a lot of people have probably said something hateful about someone else before sometime in their life (and could even regret it now). Even though I don't like what a lot of people say, it would just seem impossible to ban it. Even if it was banned that doesn't mean it would be enforced.

6. Basically my view in a nutshell. ^

7. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I may disagree with what you say, but I defend your right to say it. Also no one has the right to "not" be offended.

This is going to be strangely philosophical, but:
    Words only hold power over you, if you let them. Don't let the words of someone bring you down.