1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Shootings and Explosions in Paris

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Quem, Nov 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Citizens are also taking in other citizens for the night, seeing as they can't go back to their apartments.

It's in those times of need that you can see the best in human nature...

2. WhereWeWere

WhereWeWere Guest

As well as the worst.

3. RawringSnake

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I know, right? Which is why I always find the trope in post-apocalyptic movies that humans will turn on each other, show their true colors an devolve into barbaric thugs such bullshit. It has been demonstrated time and time again that in the face of calamity the first instinct of most is to pitch in. "We are all in this together" is more often the pervading mentality in situations like this.

4. Sebulba

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    W t fffffffffffffffffffffffff!!!!!!!!!!!

5. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Apparently a similar attempt in the UK was foiled last year.. but our extremely stringent gun control laws makes it incredibly hard for even the craziest of lunatics to get access to firearms. I guess that's one reason why we've been largely spared.

6. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The death rate is now at 158 and about 100 wounded.

7. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We don't know who is responsible yet, but I agree with you in saying that ISIL is just about the most likely suspect. At any rate, Salafist terrorist sympathisers have been gloating on social media and it's likely to be inspired by, if not directly coordinated with ISIL.

In any case, my heart goes out to the victims. I just need to check up with a few more friends who are studying in Paris who haven't confirmed their security status via Facebook or other means. :frowning2: I'm sure they're fine; all study and live on the other bank from the attacks, but I am worried.

I'm hoping Marine Le Pen doesn't use this merely to score points in the polls, but I've no doubt she will. I sense that these attacks might change France's and Europe's response to the refugee crisis, but we'll have to wait until more information's released. It'll be important whether or not the terrorists are French/long-term French residents or newcomers (or brought in for the attacks alone) in formulating a proper response, but continuing efforts against Islamic terrorism's online presence will remain a really important response for European and other governments.

8. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is an absolutely terrible attack and my heart is absolutely feeling for the people of France right now. It seems at this point the culprit is either going to be the Islamic State or someone who had aid from them.

9. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    One of the most important things when fighting Islamic terrorism is ensuring that Western Muslims, particularly Sunnis in ISIL-related attacks, do not feel unduly blamed or socially excluded from broader society. That social exclusion and the sense of rejection bred in French prisons and the banlieues is really a significant part of what makes many young French Muslims susceptible to ISIL's recruitment methods.

It is not heartlessness to be concerned about any backlash against all Muslims. It's a vital part of preventing the situation from worsening. I have not seen anyone excuse the terrorists; no reasonable person could. But extending an open hand to French and other Western Muslims is so important right now, precisely because we can't afford this violence to continue.

#69 Aussie792, Nov 13, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2015
  10. RawringSnake

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    A summary of the events that have transpired:

What We Know And What We Don't Know About The Paris Terror Attacks

Since most of the things "We know" we have already discussed in this very thread, here are the lingering questions nobody is clear on (yet):

#70 RawringSnake, Nov 13, 2015
  11. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think we can all agree with this. Nothing is ever achieved by being divisive. The vast majority of Muslims do not condone terrorist attacks in the name of Islam - they are on our side.

There needs to be a coordinated effort when it comes combating Islamic extremism - and at the same time, we shouldn't take our eye off right-wing extremism either, especially in retaliation to Islamic terrorism. Sometimes we forget that right-wing terrorists have killed 100s of people in Europe over the past 30-odd years as well.

#71 imnotreallysure, Nov 13, 2015
  12. Florestan

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't really know how to process this. It's too horrible. I don't want to believe this could have happened, but it did.

If anyone in France is reading this, please know that the rest of the world, those of us who hold human life precious, stand with you.

13. thepandaboss

Been following the live feed on Reddit and CNN. This is horrible. My heart goes out to France and Paris specifically. I just hope, for now, that people have been able to get to safety and we can start to unravel what happened...

14. RawringSnake

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    #74 RawringSnake, Nov 13, 2015
  15. photoguy93

Any event like this is horrible...but I have been to Paris and it marked the first time in my life where I felt like I was able to get out on my own and just enjoy.

I don't think it's really hit me yet as to how bad this really is. It's devastating and just downright evil.

However, I was so moved to see #porteouverte - it restored a bit of my faith in humanity. Nothing can ever take away decency and kindness.

16. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Damn... I don't even have the words.

I hope they find out who organized all of this unnecessary violence and put and end to it...
    I'll never understand why people feel the need to do such awful things.

17. RawringSnake

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I know you already mentioned in another thread that your friends are safe and sound, but for those who find themselves in a situation similar to yours, not knowing whether your loved ones in Paris are safe, more good news:

#77 RawringSnake, Nov 13, 2015
  18. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Welp. We need to mop the floor with ISIS. The death count in Paris has reached at least 153 (and counting). I think it's time for some serious military action. Syrian refugees, terrorist attacks, potential for ISIS land gains... it's reached a point where we can no longer pretend these issues are unreal. Unlike in the Iraq war of 2003 (which was a HUGE mistake), the US isn't invading anything. It's time to solve the problem that the US created.

19. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If it isn't too early to call for the deportation of all Muslims, which I'm seeing a whole fucking lot of all over the Internet, why is it too early to ask that people not go vigilante on any Muslim they see and continue with the brutalising of innocent victims?

It's not "politicising tragedy" to call for compassion towards innocent people who are going to be blamed for the actions of terrorists. People are saying "take time to mourn the lost before you start getting into protecting Muslims", but bigots aren't going to take time to mourn before they go out and insult, spit on, or violently assault their Muslim neighbours.

#79 Maddy, Nov 13, 2015
  20. RawringSnake

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think it's too early for anything. We don't even know who the perpetrators are yet. But more to the point, I don't think arguing with bigots over Facebook is gonna change anything. If they really wanna assault their Muslim neighbors, they will do it with or without your blessing. If you see calls to arms like that, I'd argue it would be much more productive to report them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.