1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shaolin kung fu/buddhism and homosexuality

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by TheDifferent13, Dec 11, 2013.

1. TheDifferent13

Hey folks,

lately I've been increasingly more and more interested in martial arts, and the other day I found Shaolin temple, where they teach meditation, qi gong, gong fu and san shou, and I was really intrigued by what they had to offer.

But there are two things, that I'm unsure about. For one I consider myself to be an agnostic atheist, and what I read about shaolin temples and this kind of traditional kung fu schools, is that they often include buddhism in their training. So my question is, does anyone know, if you have to start practicing buddhism, to be able to fully participate in all of the things that I mentioned above?

And the other thing... even if I didn't have to practice buddhism, what can I expect of other members, if they do, considering that I'm gay (i.e. what is general view on homosexuality in buddhism)?

Has anyone ever practiced shaolin kung fu, and if so, did you do it in the kind of institution that is considered to be a shaolin temple, or does anyone know anything more about this?

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nobody can make you practice buddhism...they can ask you to play lip-service to it and take part in bits and pieces but it's not much. If nothing else, it's not like Buddhism is that 'religious' anyway, there are far worse things you could be asked to be involved in.

I've never met a Buddhist who had a problem with gay people, that doesn't mean they don't exist but frankly they are kind of a piss-poor Buddhist if they DO have a problem with it...hating on a guy isn't exactly good for karma, you know?

3. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Buddhism is as much of a philosophy as it is a religion, if not more so. It's a philosophy of balance, acceptance, and wholeness. If you can get behind that philosophy, you're fine. I don't know too much more beyond that but I know enough to know that a true Buddhist wouldn't judge someone based on their sexual orientation.

4. TTSP

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Hey I do a bit of qigong and tai chi good stuff. Doubt the western Buddhists care maybe in more traditional areas of south East Asia they might. Most of the Chinese stuff is based on really old Buddhism or Taoism that doesn't really apply anymore,I can't see anyone being dogmatic at all,

5. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    From what I know of Buddhism, it isn't really a religion. They don't worship Buddha as a god, more of just following his way as the wisest teacher. And personally, I think Buddhists are onto something. It is a beautiful practice.

Like the others said, it doesn't mean you have to "have faith" so to speak. You just have to understand why the basics are applied to martial arts to excel in study and hopefully, improve your life.

6. TheDifferent13

Thank you all for replies. All of you have put in some good arguments, and I see now that I shouldn't have to worry about this. Also I didn't look at it that way before, but you're right, hating on someone for who he is would be bad for karma.