1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sexual preference vs. orientation

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Pie, Sep 13, 2014.

1. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Isn't it the same thing, though? Sexual preference isn't a choice, but the word preference...means choice.
    It's similar to how transsexuality isn't a sexuality despite having "sexuality" in it. It's not like he's advocating anti-gay views or anything.

@Pret: +1 :thumbsup:

2. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    When you call the sexual orientations of straight and gay people "sexual preferences," it implies that these people are capable of attraction towards any gender, they just prefer one gender over another. This is not true, because I'm pretty damn sure there are exclusively gay or straight people.

However, with bi and pan people (who do not feel an equal attraction towards all genders), I believe it's appropriate to call it a sexual preference because they are capable of attraction towards other genders as well.

Yet, I don't believe preference implies choice at all. With Chrisyboy's example (I prefer to take the bus instead of driving a car), this implies choice on what to actually do. You did not choose to prefer the bus. You just do. It's the same with food. I prefer peaches to apples. I am ABLE to eat apples, but I won't be very happy if there's a peach I can eat instead.

Going back to sexual orientation, a bisexual person may feel more attraction to men, but they did not choose to. However, they are fully capable of attraction towards other genders as well.

This is why preference =/= choice, imo.

3. skTiger

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Sexual preference and sexual orientation are two completely different things, for example, a preference could be a girl with long hair and glasses, or a guy with short hair and smooth chest (regardless of whether it is a same sex or opposite sex).

Sexual orientation is more of which sex is the person more attracted to, male attracted to male or female or both, and the same with females.

Depending on the context and how it is used, sometimes, sexual preference is appropriate, and other times it is not, but it should not be used in place of sexual orientation.

4. ccdd

ccdd Guest

I think that the two phrases are somewhat interchangeable, although I prefer 'orientation' because of the possibility that 'preference' could be misinterpreted to mean it's a choice.

Amongst people I know at least, I think 'orientation' is more common.

5. One Man Army

Yep, pretty much my thoughts.

I wouldn't be offended by 'sexual preference' unless it was said by someone who I knew to be homophobic. It's nowhere near as bad as 'gay lifestyle'...that phrase really irks me.